Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How good is your dogs nose?

How good is your dogs nose?

This is not intended as a "who has the best scent / tracking dog etc" just some of the things your dog may have done that leaves you in disbelief or wondering how it did that! What got me thinking was my usual walk before work yesterday, 0500 hours I walk my dogs in an area where the odd roe, fox or pheasant can be seen. I was on my way back along a rough footpath with overgrown rough ground on both sides there was about 5"-6" of fresh snow over everything and no noticable breeze, when my Weimaraner bitch suddenly stopped dead on the path, raised her nose to the left and looked at me for her next command. she then made her way 15-20 yds to a clump of bramble that was covered in snow circled it and went on point. I gave her the command and as she advanced out came 2 pheasants. now these birds would have been there from the previous evening and before it started snowing. I could not believe that she had been able to scent these birds in these circumstances.

Wingy

Quote Originally Posted by Wingy View Post
    This is not intended as a "who has the best scent / tracking dog etc" just some of the things your dog may have done that leaves you in disbelief or wondering how it did that! What got me thinking was my usual walk before work yesterday, 0500 hours I walk my dogs in an area where the odd roe, fox or pheasant can be seen. I was on my way back along a rough footpath with overgrown rough ground on both sides there was about 5"-6" of fresh snow over everything and no noticable breeze, when my Weimaraner bitch suddenly stopped dead on the path, raised her nose to the left and looked at me for her next command. she then made her way 15-20 yds to a clump of bramble that was covered in snow circled it and went on point. I gave her the command and as she advanced out came 2 pheasants. now these birds would have been there from the previous evening and before it started snowing. I could not believe that she had been able to scent these birds in these circumstances.

Wingy
    She also tracked me when my terrible directions kicked in and I went walkies.

My dog went underground to a depth of around 60 feet there would be no light at that depth at all so only his nose to guide him he found his fox and moved it twice before it left its old dissued badger set on the clyde. He cam out of the same hole had a rag at the now dead fox and went back down to do the same 3 times all in differnt locations. His nose led him straight to them even though sent of fresh foxes had passed that same tube. Might not be that good in other peoples opininon,s but in mine his was one of the best.You would get that from a fat HS They dont even fit

And that wasent yesterday lol tinks was deeper lol

No but some people underestimate a terriers nose .To me it was a sience

The best nose i have ever seen was a mates terrier found loads of deer and got him shots when the rest of us stuggled.

My Viz snorts when he winds deer. I went wildfowling one afternoon, parking area is along way from the seawall and you have to follow a path across several fields to the foreshore. As soon as he was out the car he was snorting away and staring upwind towards the foreshore floodbank, it was a good strong breeze that afternoon. I looked and could not see anything on the big open fields but when I eventually reached the floodbank top I could see a party of Roe couched down in the open on the land side of the seawall. They was about 1 km directly upwind of the car park. Might have been just been him having one of his 'moments' or might not have been the deer he winded as there were several ditches in between the car and the deer I could see. But now when stalking I pay less attention to his snorting as I realise the deer could be still a long way off!

Quote Originally Posted by mudman View Post
    My Viz snorts when he winds deer. I went wildfowling one afternoon, parking area is along way from the seawall and you have to follow a path across several fields to the foreshore. As soon as he was out the car he was snorting away and staring upwind towards the foreshore floodbank, it was a good strong breeze that afternoon. I looked and could not see anything on the big open fields but when I eventually reached the floodbank top I could see a party of Roe couched down in the open on the land side of the seawall. They was about 1 km directly upwind of the car park. Might have been just been him having one of his 'moments' or might not have been the deer he winded as there were several ditches in between the car and the deer I could see. But now when stalking I pay less attention to his snorting as I realise the deer could be still a long way off!

How do you find your viz nose in forestry like argyle ?

Quote Originally Posted by mark g View Post
    How do you find your viz nose in forestry like argyle ?
    Well, all depends on the day so to speak but with Forestry Red he will often sit up, do the snorting thing and stare at the tree line but nothing appears, so I suspect he is winding deer as they move through the trees but still a long way off and never going in my particlar direction. Of course sometimes he indicates deer and then on cue a couple of minutes later one or more step out of cover, so he is an excellent early warning but there are plenty of false alarms. But if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction one could be 10 yards away and he would'nt know.

Quote Originally Posted by mudman View Post
    Well, all depends on the day so to speak but with Forestry Red he will often sit up, do the snorting thing and stare at the tree line but nothing appears, so I suspect he is winding deer as they move through the trees but still a long way off and never going in my particlar direction. Of course sometimes he indicates deer and then on cue a couple of minutes later one or more step out of cover, so he is an excellent early warning but there are plenty of false alarms. But if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction one could be 10 yards away and he would'nt know.

I get the very same with my GSP could not stalk without him half the time I would be better of looking at the dog than the trees when the wind is right .
    ps. did you have a bit of an experience with a red quad at the top of the aquaduck ? you may be a different person.