Thread: Hoof scent

Hoof scent

In a recent conversation I had what do the SD dog training massive think about hoof scent ,how long after a deer that is dead does the hoof scent last .
    the lower leg has been removed at processing and then stored do they then loose the scent and become contaminated by human scent and the truck contents Ect .

Norma

As I type this I have cleaves in scent shoes defrosting next to the boiler!

These ones have been used twice already and always immediately frozen afterwards. they go to the ground in a plastic bag and are re-frozen immediately on return.

I have been told by guys in the know that 3 or maybe 4 times is about as much as they would use them. remember a lot of the scent the dog picks up is from the degradation of soil and plant matter caused during laying the track as well as that laid by the feet themselves.

I don't suppose it matters a great deal if the cleaves are being used on ground you walk and stalk on and in turn where the deer you track walk as there will be a good cross mix of similar scent. I always wear latex gloves when handling the cleaves, from removing from the carcass, to freezer and into the scent shoes.

My question really is about the chemical process in the hoof caused by the shock when the animal is shot adrenalin and other secretions by scent glands .theory being how does the dog know when an animal has broken away from a group after being shot and why does the dog not just follow the major foot fall of the rest of the group .something in the hoof must be different and I just wondered how long it lasted ? Thanks jamross .
    norma

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    My question really is about the chemical process in the hoof caused by the shock when the animal is shot adrenalin and other secretions by scent glands .theory being how does the dog know when an animal has broken away from a group after being shot and why does the dog not just follow the major foot fall of the rest of the group .something in the hoof must be different and I just wondered how long it lasted ? Thanks jamross .
    norma
    Each deer will carry a different identity in it's DNA and dogs can detect that
    which is why idealy you should try and use the skin/hoof/blood from the same beast when laying training tracks for your dog in the first place and then progress to laying to seperate tracks that criss cross in a couple of places to encourage your dog to follow a specific track for such circumstances
    As for Scent breakdown over time not something I hav really looked at
    I am guessing This will also depend on weather conditions such as constant wet weather or constant hot weather etc etc
    also depends on ground conditions and also which deer species as some species will give off a greater amount of hoof scent than others
    but I hav watched my dog follow the same hoof tracks almost a week apart
    yes I realise she may of remembered the first initial track and the dead deer at the end of it
    but also second time around did not scent every slot but did scent a fair few along the ploughing
    enough to do a proper track on in my opinion on that occasion
    there were no other fresh tracks to be seen
    Could not put it down to anything else except there must of been enough scent for her to pick up on as we walked that same route
    hard to say as , also some dogs have a better nose than others

Cheers stone it is rather an interesting subject ,
    kind regards
    norma