Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BASC Firearms legal advice

BASC Firearms legal advice

Dear all,

We have set up this new login to assist rather than debate forum postings. We will not post on every thread and will generally post one reasoned legal opinion response to the question posed. We will generally only operate in this 'legal issues' section.

If anybody requires a response or involvement with a thread a PM can be used and we will assess the request to become involved. Please note that we have no official brief to be involved with forums and we will not always be available or scanning the forum. We have our main role to fulfil during office hours and this will take priority.

Personal comments and abuse towards BASC will not be responded to and on occasion we may properly suggest that direct contact be made to BASC by its members for bespoke advice.

Best wishes

BASC Firearms Dept
    Last edited by BASC Firearms Dept; 27-01-2013 at 16:17.

Hi BASC Firearms Dept. Welcome to the site.
    My question is, In view of how long some variations to certificates take why is it not possible to do a one for one like for like with an RFD.
    For instance , You go to shop with say .243 bolt action and part exchange for .243 bolt action, fill in paperwork inform police. Job done. I am sure there must be a good reason why you cant but what is it?
    BASC member.
    Last edited by High seat; 27-01-2013 at 17:54.

Quote Originally Posted by High seat View Post
    Hi BASC Firearms Dept. Welcome to the site.
    My question is, In view of how long some variations to certificates take why is it not possible to do a one for one like for like with an RFD.
    For instance , You go to shop with say .243 bolt action and part exchange for .243 bolt action, fill in paperwork inform police. Job done. I am sure there must be a good reason why you cant but what is it?
    BASC member.
    Hello high seat, its simply due to the wording of the legislation. The Home Office set the system up in 1968 in the main act and in the fees regulations. In essence it requires a variation request to be made for any change and waives the fees for a one for one.

We have agreement with ACPO about like for like exchanges but the Home Office have not moved forward with this. Cumbria made it politically difficult as the media would most likley say 'shooters rewarded' etc and the olympics had an affect on making legislation but as nothing has happened since the olympics we continue to pressure the Home Office to start the process to get these changes through.
    Last edited by BASC Firearms Dept; 27-01-2013 at 18:24.

Welcome to the site BASC Firearms Dept. Hope you do not get bombarded with too much negativity. Myself as a BASC member have had nothing but good service from BASC both on general firearms enquiries and on Legal help with an incident last year. Its good to know there's someone willing to help fight your corner.

Hi and welcome to the site, myself a former BASC member who had his licence revoked recieved nothing but bad service when i needed you most...

Look forward to your input in this section

Kind Regards

Terry
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Dear Pheasant sniper, please PM me with full details as I would like to hear your story and look into it a little.
    Last edited by BASC Firearms Dept; 27-01-2013 at 18:40.

BASC new initiative....!!!!
    interesting and well done for doing so

i wonder if you could explain why the condition

" fox control whilst deer stalking"

also the same for

" fox control whilst Boar shooting"

is placed on a FAC

many thanks

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    BASC new initiative....!!!!
    interesting and well done for doing so

i wonder if you could explain why the condition

" fox control whilst deer stalking"

also the same for

" fox control whilst Boar shooting"

is placed on a FAC

many thanks

Richard
    Richard, its borne out if a perception that conditions should articulate good reason i.e. primary species and a misguided view that lesser species may only be shot with larger calibres providing they are held for the larger quarry.

Its also loosly based on a perception they would be criticised for allowing the shooting of lesser species with a big calibre which they think is excessive. You dont have to look far on youtube to find a bloke in a wilderness with a fifty cal shooting animals at the longest range possible for fun or to test his skill. The police dont want that mentality here. They made up the "whilst deerstalking" etc condition to distance themselves from a normal full grant to allow foxes to be shot equally to deer (ie wherever they are found and permission granted) with a bigger calibre. Thus it allows people to deal with foxes on behalf of estates to keep gamekeeper happy but not allow normal foxing or lamping which somehow they think is immoral with a large calibre. Its a half step they took but which shows an unreasonability only found in draconian police forces and those who prefer control rather than reasoned evidence of a problem that needs management. it matters not a fig the type of species so long as there is a backstop present and the calibre is suitable and legal for all species.

Take a look at these, they give further detail -

https://www.basc.org.uk/download.cfm...F72349FD5C6B90

http://www.basc.org.uk/download.cfm/...44064E62F3689D

Quote Originally Posted by BASC Firearms Dept View Post
    Dear Pheasant sniper, please PM me with full details as I would like to hear your story and look into it a little.
    Pm sent

Kind Regards

Terry
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

SD Regular
    As a BASC Member I am happy to see a BASC presence here BUT I do hope that others whose choose to join, say the CA, "because it is cheaper" are not now going to get free advice?

CA is quite happy to poach BASC Members with advertisements in Shooting Times boasting of CA being CHEAPER than BASC so why are we, potentially, now providing a free legal advice service for CA Members here?

I am happy to pay the expensive BASC subscription because I know that my money helps defend my sport AND provide its members with stalking opportunities.

I would be VERY UNHAPPY if I thought that those who don't "put money behind the bar", as it were, members of organisations directly competing with BASC for the "shooter's pound", are now getting a free drink....?
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 27-01-2013 at 19:52.