Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Date for DSC1/DSC2 in Scotland

Date for DSC1/DSC2 in Scotland

Hi is it ture that some time late this year you will have to have DSC1 to be able to shoot over the border

DJC

Hi DJC I think it will be 2014.

Hiya, there are no plan's to bring this into force...there's a massive thread on here about it...it's all an urban myth...tho on saying that, I'm doing mine soon...

Heres a wee link to the thread I was saying about..

Not legal to shoot deer without dsc 1 after April 2014 ? [Archive] - The Stalking Directory

At this moment in time a Mandatory testing to competency standard lev1 or equivalent is on the card but before this happens the Private sector need to prove they can deliver a system acceptable to all. This is no were near happening even the price of an assessment cannot be set at fixed level. All the organisation even the collages are trying to rip people off this will not run well with the Scottish Government even if Basc Bds are sitting on the start up panels.
    eg. Barony Collage two years ago assessment only 87. Today's price for the same assessment on your own ground 140. DJC don't worry the government will not let it happen while there is no set guide lines and BASC let people charge what they want for the Assessment.
    The have dropped BP as of this year and that should tell people that the Scottish government have lost faith in what SNH was trying to do with the deer industry up here.

6 Pointer thanks for your reply i am being told on a daily baics that come oct 2013 you will not be able to shoot in scotland
    i have done both level 1 and 2 but i think its just a money making project

Regards DJC

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    At this moment in time a Mandatory testing to competency standard lev1 or equivalent is on the card but before this happens the Private sector need to prove they can deliver a system acceptable to all. This is no were near happening even the price of an assessment cannot be set at fixed level. All the organisation even the collages are trying to rip people off this will not run well with the Scottish Government even if Basc Bds are sitting on the start up panels.
    eg. Barony Collage two years ago assessment only 87 Dear David or will we start to call you Forrest, if you hadnt noticed everything has gone up in the last two years . Today's price for the same assessment on your own ground 140. DJC don't worry the government will not let it happen ""Really"" think again have a wee look at the amount of local authorities that have made there personnel redundant . while there is no set guide lines and BASC let people charge what they want for the Assessment.
    The have dropped BP as of this year and that should tell people that the Scottish government have lost faith in what SNH was trying to do with the deer industry up here.

Best Practice has not been dropped ,it will continue to run the same as it always has .( here i thought you only had to punch information into a computer) I'll get the boxing gloves out.

I think it's important to consider that educational providers like the colleges have massive overheads. Obviously of the fees charged a training centre will be clearing a good percentage compared to actual costs for short courses whether it's DSC1, chainsaw, quadbike or whatever but you need to weigh this against the raw costs to keep and maintain the buildings, resources and staffing which are blindingly high!

You can though bring in an assessor you pay direct to test a bunch of lads anywhere and do your own admin to get a better deal compared to an assessment centre doing it all for you and providing their assessor. You need to be able to negotiate your position with numbers to get a good deal!
    Last edited by Paul at Fechan; 28-01-2013 at 16:13.

Paul i see what your saying but an increase of 40+% is not real on now is it. Can you brake down the cost for us please running our own day no class room of collage every thing done.
    How much do BASC charge assesor etc

Not 'real' Davie agreed but unfortunately real world. I don't know what the costings break down for assessment only is but I know the office would set prices based loosely on what other providers charge. I just do the training and assist with the assessments and I'm not in the loop on that.

With courses I've done in the past privately both large and small for estates etc not run by the college, I've been able to get a better deal for the clients by organising it myself and hiring in an assessor. It then becomes a case of paying the assessor + college to register the paperwork as the assessment centre that then make sure it goes through an IV and EV before getting the all clear.

At the moment though in Scotland I honestly think though knowing the likelyhood of changes ahead that the value of having your DSC1 is far higher than the actual price you pay for it whether it's assessment only or full course. Obviously though us being Scottish and all we're tight and want the best price!

Paul i am not disagreeing about the need for LEV one in the future i am saying if we cannot self regulate and that includes cost then the SNH plan for a Mandatory test being decided in 2014 looks a real long way off. Greed will always rear its ugly head and it looks like the collages are following suit. It is time that BASC who run DMQ set a president and made the DSC Test/Assessment a one price test like most of the other tests in the country.
    The training well thats down to what content you put in and will vary a great deal.
    I feel if some one was to book a driving test (Mandatory if you want to drive a car) They would be outraged if the same test was 50% less or more somewhere else.