Thread: 8x32 vs. 8x42 binoculars

8x32 vs. 8x42 binoculars

Anybody experience how the better quality 8x30 / 8x32 binoculars perform ? First choice would be Swarovski 8x30 SLC , Kahles 8x32 or Zeiss 8x30 conquest . Also like the Swarovski 8x32 EL , but very expensive . That much better than the 8x30 SLC ??????
    Primary use would be 1 or 2 stalking trips in Scotland . Maybe once or twice a year on a high seat in Belgium .
    For our woodland highseat " stalking " bigger binoculars ( 42 / 56 mm ) are the rule , but they tend to be heavy around the neck .
    Is a good quality 8x30 bright enough for normal stalking conditions ???
    All the best.

i have just sold a set of slc 8x30 wb's. they have been replaced with 8.5 x 42 el's.

the 8 x 30's were fantastic - clarity was absolutely brilliant, and in normal light they were easily as good as the el's. their size was an advantage also, easy for one handed use. their only letdown was when light was fading, and i must say that the 8.5 x 42's are much better, i was out at 22.30 hrs the other night and i could see foxes moving about on a topped field, the 8x30's would not have been any use then. i used to end up having to use my scope for the last few minutes when sitting out at night.

also, the focus knob seemed stiffer on the slc's than the el's, which meant they didnt get knocked out of focus as easily.

i would reccomend the 8x32's, in many ways i wish i had kept them (althogh the 8x56 scope i bought with the money will get more use now i have the 8.5x42's).

incedentaly, they fetched 393 on ebay.

The wider angle will give you an extra 15-20 mins of 'extra vision' at the end of the day. Doesn't sound a lot but it is often the time when you get the results. It's only worth it though if your scope is equally as good! No point spotting it if you can't then shoot it!

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker
    The wider angle will give you an extra 15-20 mins of 'extra vision' at the end of the day. Doesn't sound a lot but it is often the time when you get the results. It's only worth it though if your scope is equally as good! No point spotting it if you can't then shoot it!
    I agree! I don't see the advantage of an 8X mag? I use 7X42 and they are excellent. Pupil size and all that science stuff!

I use 8x30 Hensolds, they are great in the day and early evening but no good for last light.
    8x42 I think is about the best overall. 7 is too little mag for longer range stuff.
    Looking through many many binos at the IWA.
    Really fantastic were EL 8.5x42 also weight wise.
    Very good are also Kahles, Zeiss and Meopta

If I win the lotto it'll be the el's
    if I get a small win I might think of the conquest range.

edi

Swarovski EL's

I use Swarovski EL 8+32, great pair of binoculars, very light, especially useful if hill stalking, iv used the old model slc 7+42 again another great pair of binoculars, although slightly heavier.

I think it is well covered above.

8x30's are excellent, light and handy, but they will fail in low light well before 8x42's. I use a Swaro SLC 8x30 LRF in place of bino's, which is excellent, but it fails well before the Swaro 8x50 scope on my rifle.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Like bucksden I have the Swaro 8.5x42 EL's and can't fault them. I've had a couple of people with 8x30 SLC's try them and both have said that they would/will move to the 8.5's They are great for low-light and they are a joy to carry around your neck compared to the SLC's.

Mine get used hard, and the only issue I've had to date is the rubber objective covers coming adrift, but you can buy replacements cheaply enough on the web.

willie_gunn

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn
    Mine get used hard, and the only issue I've had to date is the rubber objective covers coming adrift, but you can buy replacements cheaply enough on the web.
    my 8 x 30's used to get the sh!t knoked out of them regularly - i broke many of the rotating eye cups, and lost a rubber objective lens cover. if you phone swarovski uk they send you them free of charge first class next day, excellent customer service. you just need to tell them the serial number.