Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloading Help!!!!

Reloading Help!!!!

Morning team,

Jut got a .243 and really want to start reloading it, is there any advice on what equipment/set up to buy. Any books or top tips that the wealth of knowledge people on here have that they wouldn't mind passing on to me.

hope to here from you

Quote Originally Posted by Tarkan View Post
    Morning team,

Jut got a .243 and really want to start reloading it, is there any advice on what equipment/set up to buy. Any books or top tips that the wealth of knowledge people on here have that they wouldn't mind passing on to me.

hope to here from you
    A Lee aniversary kit is a good place to start,then all you need are some dies,powder,bullets,and a few bits and bobs,get a reloading manual,Hodgdon data loading centre is full of useful load data,I am a big fan of Sierra bullets,and their .243/6mm range will have a bullet to suit any application you wish to use your rifle for,if you can get a local reloader to show you the ropes that would help there are lots of tutorial videos on youtube ect,hope this helps.

Hi Tarken

It all depends on how much you want to spend on equipment you can start at the lower end of the market with lee which is perfectly fine for the job and then you can go up to rcbs which is the upper end of the market.

Quote Originally Posted by paulhed View Post
    Hi Tarken

It all depends on how much you want to spend on equipment you can start at the lower end of the market with lee which is perfectly fine for the job and then you can go up to rcbs which is the upper end of the market.
    or you can stick with Lee,(read Muirs post on bullet runout) that will do the job admirably,or you can join the ranks of reloading snobs that must have the most expensive,(but sometimes less effective) equipment,becouse it makes them feel good and they can preach on forums,about the need to spend a fortune on equipment(not suggesting you are one of them Paulhead)
    but they really do p-ss me off

SD Regular
    I am in Leicester too...well just along the A47 towards LFE...so am happy to give you advice.

Press: Buy the very best you can. An "O" Frame type at the very least.
    Dies: Full length sizing dies to start. You CAN adjust them just to neck-size if you wish.
    Scales: Avoid Lee's abomination. Other than that Lyman, RCBS, they are all the same.

As for the rest you can "make do" with a simple Lee case trimmer of a pilot and a dedicated shell holder and for a powder measure the Lee yellow plastic "Popeye's pipes"....most re-loaders will show you how to "trickle" with these into your scale. And, of course, a powder funnel.

Case Lube: Most important. I use liquid but am changing now to Imperial Wax. A lot less mess and takes up less space than a tube of lube.

All the rest, manuals etc., etc., is really for a "one calibre" shooter a waste of money. Get a re-loader to set up your dies for you and you pretty much don't need anything else.

And Lee dies? I would go for dies where you can LOCK the lock ring so that when you set them up once they remain set up. Problem with Lee's lock rings is that you can't actually lock them!
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 28-01-2013 at 10:29.

Hi Hornet.

I actually use lee equipment and i cant fault it the only things i own that are rcbs is a scale and loading tray i use lee press. lee dies. and a lee powder measure and everything else is lee i wouldnt change i i get the perfect results i need

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0515.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	24069

I bought all cheap stuff, lee hand press, lee collet die, lee scales etc, probably cost under 200 all in.. my loads shoot close to .3 moa, cant ask for more really...

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    or you can stick with Lee,(read Muirs post on bullet runout) that will do the job admirably,or you can join the ranks of reloading snobs that must have the most expensive,(but sometimes less effective) equipment,becouse it makes them feel good and they can preach on forums,about the need to spend a fortune on equipment(not suggesting you are one of them Paulhead)
    but they really do p-ss me off
    The chap is asking for sensible advice, not a load of your bigoted bunkum.

I have been re-loading since 1961 and have built up my set-up over the years using mainly RCBS gear which is reliable, efficient and can be freely obtained here on site or from E.Bay etc.

It had nothing to do with snobbery, feeling good or preaching on forums as these forums did not exist at that time.
    RCBS provide a vast range of gear which is readily available new or on the second-hand market and would be my personal recommendation.

HWH
    The `cockpit`, I load for a few others also hence the 3 RCBS powder hoppers set at different powder charges.
    Last edited by stag1933; 28-01-2013 at 10:54. Reason: Picture added.

The equipment issue is getting well coverd but the best advice is when you do get your setup dont just jump straight into reloading untill you have been told or shown prefably what to do as reloading can be dangours if you dont know what you are doing or dont know how to use your equipment correctly so get some good advice or tutoring from someone who knows what they are doing

WOW stag1933 that is a setup to be proud of