TOWER FOR THE BOAR

WAYNE DAVIES

Distinguished Member
Hi All
Just thought I would share a pic of the tower Andy and I have built to keep us warm while waiting for the boar this winter :D :D

DSC00750.jpg

As you can see we have the waste pipe for the loo below we just have to plumb it in. ;)

Looks luxurious!

Where do you plug the spotlights in??.......or are you guys the exception to the rule when it comes to 'stalking' wild boar?
;)
Or is it that the boar in your area have been so heavily lamped...sorry 'stalked'.......that their nocturnal forays have now become more crepuscular and you are cashing in on this, hence the the palace on stilts!!

:lol: :lol:

stephen magson
said

Looks luxurious!

Where do you plug the spotlights in??.......or are you guys the exception to the rule when it comes to 'stalking' wild boar?

Or is it that the boar in your area have been so heavily lamped...sorry 'stalked'.......that their nocturnal forays have now become more crepuscular and you are cashing in on this, hence the the palace on stilts!!

Stephen
Please explain to me how to hunt them correctly?? we are obviously doing it wrong.

Wayne

Wayne, looks the business.

I have sat out in a couple of similar "seats" in the Czech Rep. One night in particular it was spectacularly cold, about -15deg C.

Get a swivel office chair up in there, you can then rotate to whatever side of the hide the piggies appear at... 8)

WAYNE

Sorry mate, i wasn't trying to be personal with that comment, i was just having a little dig in general and to see what kind of response it provoked.
By no means am i even going to attempt to tell someone as experienced as yourself at the hunting of 'sus scrofa' how to go about their task!

I guess my experience at culling deer under license with a spotlight has left a bad taste, knowing how easy it is and feeling like they are reduced to nothing more than vermin status. I haven't shot boar, only trapped them, drugged them, stuck a tracking device in their lughole and then followed their 'blips' all night.......oh yes i also had a 16 stone sow in a head/body lock after it charged and knocked over a colleague, and then went to bite her leg whilst she was on the floor!.....this sow had just been un-aneasthetised (perhaps the ketamine was still working).

Hope i didn't cause offence

Regards

Steve

HIGH TOWER

Nice tower wayne but whats worrying me is if your in one half and andy is in the other where am i supposed to sit ? [THE ROOF].

Looks the business mate
ATB
RICK O SHEA

boar tower

Well done Wayne & Andy,all you need now is Pamela Anderson stood at the bottem in her red swimsuit & a pair of your binos. :lol: only joking,im sure your hard work will pay off this winter
ATB Andy

Looks good mate. How far are the posts dug into the ground.

Am going to have a go. Its just what I need.

stephen magson said:
oh yes i also had a 16 stone sow in a head/body lock after it charged and knocked over a colleague, and then went to bite her leg whilst she was on the floor

:eek: Why would you want to bite a 16 stone sow on the leg? Isn't that animal cruelty?

Hi Claret Dabbler

We sat in some tall ones in Poland, quite a bit taller than ours, don't think I would trust our building skills to make one this high. :D

PolandHighseat2.jpg

Rick
Don't worry its 8ft wide and a three seater ;)

Wint
If Pamela Anderson was there Andy would be stood at the bottom, she could test the stability of the tower with me :eek:

Howa
We used 22ft hop poles and concreted them about 2.1/2ft in the ground.
We were going to build it higher but there was no advantage with the visibility so its only about 11ft to the floor.

Cheers Wayne

Nice Job Wayne. Are you putting out some feeding points or just planning on sitting tight?

Good luck.

Tom

Hi Tom
No we wont be encouraging them onto this area, we have a couple of feed sites where they cant do as much damage.

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

did you have a job working as a prop maker for the film the great escape, only I am sure the hide looks like one of those Gerry watch towers on Stalag Camp 13 :lol: :lol: :lol:

No Great job mate, looks really comfy, hope to get up to see you sometime this winter.

Sikamalc

Great job Wayne.

Looks like the winter nights will be a bit more cmfortable.

I have also tackled a few pigs in my time but normallybafter too much stella :eek: :eek:

Jonathon

WAYNE

Just wondered what kind of feed you're using to encourage the boar into your zone?
When we were trapping them we used split and whole maize from the local(Ross) country supplies. The Fallow also seemed to take a liking to it!

We never tried anything with aniseed in it......wonder if it helps? :confused:

Regards

Steve.

p.s. do you reckon the .270 is man enough for them?

243varmint said:
I have also tackled a few pigs in my time but normally after too much stella :eek: :eek:
firstly - there is no such thing as too much stella.
secondly - if you think youre able to think you've had too much stella, you havent.
and finally - if you've had that much stalla they aint pigs!

Malc
I was only thinking this morning I hadn't heard from you lately new it was too good to be true :lol: :lol: :lol: cheeky git ;)

Let me know when your coming I'll swap the carpet for a red one :D

Steve
We have used all sorts, mostly pig feed, wheat and whole maize mixed.
I think we fed more badgers than anything :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Johnathon/Bucksden
I found Stella to be a wonderfull contraceptive, by the time I had drunk enough to make the roughest look good, I couldnt manage it anyway :lol: :lol: :lol: ( I probably shoudn't have typed that :oops: :oops: )

Wayne

Hi Wayne

Good to see you got the tower completed - I like the entrance hatch idea a lot! The toilet is another real plus for those long sessions - just panic when your mate looks around and asks for bog roll!

We have had really good results from chucking some beer, guts and water into a barrel along with some maize/corn. Left to 'ripen' it would take the paint off a truck at fifty yards - but it really worked as a scent trail to draw the pigs to the feed site..... from about nine miles!

Once there, the pigs are kept occupied by feeders made from EMPTY gas bottles, pierced with loads of holes and filled with dry corn. Secured to a stake by chain and a swivel (VERY IMPORTANT) - the pigs would happily play hog football for ten or twenty minutes at a time. We put out a small amount of other food/maize to get the feeding started.

This style of feeder really works well - the noise it makes is sufficient to wake a couple of snoring pig shooters ( ;) ) while other animals are generally not powerful enough to get to the corn. The way the corn dribbles out a few grains at a time ensures that waste is kept to a minimum, while making the pigs work for the feed.

Again mate - nice work on the tower! The luxury of sitting in one of these makes shivering in a lean-to seem a bit old school!

Rgds

Ian

Back