Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which calibre

Which calibre

Hi guys, just thinking about a new slot for foxing and I was wondering what peoples opinions are on the following.

22-250
    223 / 222

the 243 I know is a bit ott for foxing but it's a good workable tool for it.

Anyway I await replies from you more experienced chaps

Chris

I have a 22/250 never ad a problem with foxs with that at sensible ranges .
    always used factory ammo the only misses were driver error
    would I purchase it again ten yrs later most definitely .
    Norma

No fox complained about my .243 last year, every one sound asleep!!!

Bryan

Alba gu brąth

Sauer 101 6.5x55, Beretta Silver Pigeon 12g Over&Under

SD Regular
    Any of the calibres you mention are good and commonly used tools for foxing. When I had this conundrum, I looked at what I liked to shoot and where another rifle would fit in the calibres I have compared to the uses I have. You'll also need to take into account the ease of getting ammo - and of course how the local constab feel about it - but I gather Wiltshire are pretty liberal about this sort of thing.

My choice? 22.250 - because it sits well and with similar characteristics to my main stalking rifle.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Nothing at all wrong with a .243 for foxing, it's the tool that I choose, mainly because I have a hatred for all things .223 illogical I know, it stems from the days when they took away my trusty SLR and gave me this plastic thing that fired rounds the size of an air rifle pellet, then fell apart

Quote Originally Posted by hangfire View Post
    Nothing at all wrong with a .243 for foxing, it's the tool that I choose, mainly because I have a hatred for all things .223 illogical I know, it stems from the days when they took away my trusty SLR and gave me this plastic thing that fired rounds the size of an air rifle pellet, then fell apart
    Sounds familiar! Christ they were a load of ****, albeit a little improved now after millions of wasted £'s. Agree with you on the .243, designed as a varmint round anyway.

i have used .243 and .243AI for years and absolutely love it. However i have owned a .22-250. If you only intend to shoot foxes and bunnies the my choice would be the .22-250 with something like a 55gr vmax or 75gr amax if you shoot in open and windy areas as it will have less windage than the smaller lighter bullets.

22/250 all the way. Love mine yes the 243 is more practical if you want it as fox/deer rifle. as the 22/250 is only legal for Muntys and cwd.

But if you got a deer rifle and want a foxing only rifle then 22/250 or 223 will do anything you need of it.
    Also dont over look the 20 calibre centrefire rifles.

Alan off here ran a 22/250 with fast twist for 75 grain bullets it was deadly. Though if you went this route you looking at building a rifle or getting a savage rifle as I believe there the only company who offer a fast twist 22/250
    Last edited by jay 22; 28-01-2013 at 21:35.

if you already have a deer caliber rifle then i would be looking at either a .22-250 or .223 or if your into reloading maybe somthing a bit diffrent like a .220 swift or .20 tac but if you dont have a deer rifle then it has to be the .243 as there a great little alrounder infact i sold my .308 and .223 to get my .243 which as well as a stalking rifle it gets a lot of use on foxes and i wouldnt change it

Quote Originally Posted by chr1s View Post
    Hi guys, just thinking about a new slot for foxing and I was wondering what peoples opinions are on the following.

22-250
    223 / 222

the 243 I know is a bit ott for foxing but it's a good workable tool for it.

Anyway I await replies from you more experienced chaps

Chris
    why is a 243 OTT for a fox ?? theres no finer caliber for foxing.out of your list the 243 would be the one,as it can do everything the other caliber can but NOT the other way around.why limit yourself