Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does hodgdon powder have a best before.

Does hodgdon powder have a best before.

Hi..i have decided to start reloading again and this maybe a silly question but i have had some hodgdon powder one opened but well sealed and one sealed from new and a box of cci primers lying up my loft for around 4 years in a case..can anyone tell me would this powder and primers still be 100% usable..it is in perfect condition and dry..or should i bin it and buy more..!..thanks.

as long as its been in a stable temp, should be ok,

the loft may have got hot and freezing so......................

SD Regular
    If it has been kept a stable temperature and doen't smell "acrid" when opened it should be OK. However if it has been subject to EXTREMES of heat perhaps not.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    If it has been kept a stable temperature and doen't smell "acrid" when opened it should be OK. However if it has been subject to EXTREMES of heat perhaps not.
    Yes your right guys..i will just get new powder and primers as not worth reloading my brass to find out things aint right..thanks.

I'm not sure about the acrid smell .... I have some Hodgdons powder and it does have a distinctive smell ( of what I am unsure ). I purchased it about 6 months ago, its kept in a "stable" environment. I'm having great results from it although, obviously, I dont know how it was stored before I purchased it.

I have just read about powder life and find, "if it has from no smell, to one ressembling alcohol it should be ok. If it smells acidic or if the powder container when opened, shows a rust or brown coloured fume, its past it. I found this info on www.rifleshootermag.com. so you can have a read yourself.

Good luck, Alan

I always think Varget smells a bit like Victory V's, for those of us old enough to remember those.

Just bought a tub of H110, thought it looked different to my TiteGroup and Trail Boss containers, it has a brown label. Looking further it has a batch code of TO589 and there's what I assume to be a date stamp which says . . . . . 2 5 91

Isnt this just our rebranded Aussie made stuff?
    If so its more temp tolerant than the others & should be fine for decades.

Cheers Sharkey

Quote Originally Posted by owdnorthener View Post
    I'm not sure about the acrid smell .... I have some Hodgdons powder and it does have a distinctive smell ( of what I am unsure ). I purchased it about 6 months ago, its kept in a "stable" environment. I'm having great results from it although, obviously, I dont know how it was stored before I purchased it.

I have just read about powder life and find, "if it has from no smell, to one ressembling alcohol it should be ok. If it smells acidic or if the powder container when opened, shows a rust or brown coloured fume, its past it. I found this info on www.rifleshootermag.com. so you can have a read yourself.

Good luck, Alan
    Yes very helpful thanks.

Established Poster
    I have been using powder and primers that are 20 years old with out a problem damp is what kills primers
    and powder as long as the damp is kept at bay you should be fine, the stuff you said was 4 years old
    if stored properly it will be ok, load 5 rounds to test if you are unsure.
    robert.