Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Country File

Country File

What the hell is this programme about now its in its prime Sunday spot? Alternative country pursuits and getting the towns masses out keeping fit. What do you think?.

Countryfile / Countryphile? Countryphobe more like!

I stopped watching it years ago. Would that John Craven follow Bill Oddie's example and take early retirement.

Albeit in Welsh, there is wall-to-wall coverage of the Royal Welsh Show on S4C and S4C2 next week and is available throughout the UK on Sky and Freesat. Now that's the sort of television I like to watch, not some hotchpotch of mountain biking, quilt making and cream teas!

10 or more years ago when I was running an outdoor centre I was interviewed by John Craven. It was all about teh new licensing for outdoor centres. Have to say he was very switched on! He moved from licensing to right to roam and access over farm land.

Dave

So switched on, I hear, he insists on having a leather upholstered Range Rover to ferry him from location to location.

I wonder, did he make the point that, contrary to popular belief, the 'right to roam' does not permit access to farmland?

Quote Originally Posted by Iwrch
    So switched on, I hear, he insists on having a leather upholstered Range Rover to ferry him from location to location.

I wonder, did he make the point that, contrary to popular belief, the 'right to roam' does not permit access to farmland?
    The range rover was lovely (cant remember if it had leather!). As to right to roam we were in Scotland and I can't remember the finer points of what we discussed or what was aired!

I agree though that CountryFile is far from what appeals to me now. Far too Guardianista!!!

Dave

Has anyone seen Landward recently, I remember when it was a farming programme!!!

I well recall the BBC making it quite clear that their (then) new programme, 'Countryfile', would continue to serve the farming community once the dedicated programmes were shelved.

Sadly, even S4C's 'Ffermio', which remained true to its audience until relatively recently, has now adopted the 'farming lite' approach. At least we have the Royal Welsh to look forward to. Anybody going?

Can't see B Oddie or C RAven going for this approach
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/8153168.stm
    good old Aussies!

Quote Originally Posted by Iwrch
    I well recall the BBC making it quite clear that their (then) new programme, 'Countryfile', would continue to serve the farming community once the dedicated programmes were shelved.

Sadly, even S4C's 'Ffermio', which remained true to its audience until relatively recently, has now adopted the 'farming lite' approach. At least we have the Royal Welsh to look forward to. Anybody going?
    There's going to be a good fight between the canoeists and the anglers at the RWS on 21st July when the Welsh Assembly try to launch their attempt to get free and unfettered access for all on Welsh rivers!!

Countryfile is almost completely antiseptic now - a parody on what it should be about.

Questions -

a) Will Countryphobe be at Builth?
    b) Will they cover the canoe issue?
    c) Will they be balanced in their report if they do?

Call me cynical but somehow I felt I could answer those questions as I wrote them.

For a view on the potential conflict between licence paying anglers and paddlers demanding free and open access look here

(My apologies. I know this isn't stalking related but I suspect the majority of members here share a common concern on issues such as this.)