Country File

vizslamad

What the hell is this programme about now its in its prime Sunday spot? Alternative country pursuits and getting the towns masses out keeping fit. What do you think?.

Countryfile / Countryphile? :rolleyes: Countryphobe more like! :evil:

I stopped watching it years ago. Would that John Craven follow Bill Oddie's example and take early retirement.

Albeit in Welsh, there is wall-to-wall coverage of the Royal Welsh Show on S4C and S4C2 next week and is available throughout the UK on Sky and Freesat. Now that's the sort of television I like to watch, not some hotchpotch of mountain biking, quilt making and cream teas!

10 or more years ago when I was running an outdoor centre I was interviewed by John Craven. It was all about teh new licensing for outdoor centres. Have to say he was very switched on! He moved from licensing to right to roam and access over farm land.

Dave

So switched on, I hear, he insists on having a leather upholstered Range Rover to ferry him from location to location.

I wonder, did he make the point that, contrary to popular belief, the 'right to roam' does not permit access to farmland?

Iwrch said:
So switched on, I hear, he insists on having a leather upholstered Range Rover to ferry him from location to location.

I wonder, did he make the point that, contrary to popular belief, the 'right to roam' does not permit access to farmland?

The range rover was lovely (cant remember if it had leather!). As to right to roam we were in Scotland and I can't remember the finer points of what we discussed or what was aired!

I agree though that CountryFile is far from what appeals to me now. Far too Guardianista!!!

Dave

I well recall the BBC making it quite clear that their (then) new programme, 'Countryfile', would continue to serve the farming community once the dedicated programmes were shelved. :rolleyes:

Sadly, even S4C's 'Ffermio', which remained true to its audience until relatively recently, has now adopted the 'farming lite' approach. At least we have the Royal Welsh to look forward to. Anybody going?

Iwrch said:
I well recall the BBC making it quite clear that their (then) new programme, 'Countryfile', would continue to serve the farming community once the dedicated programmes were shelved. :rolleyes:

Sadly, even S4C's 'Ffermio', which remained true to its audience until relatively recently, has now adopted the 'farming lite' approach. At least we have the Royal Welsh to look forward to. Anybody going?

There's going to be a good fight between the canoeists and the anglers at the RWS on 21st July when the Welsh Assembly try to launch their attempt to get free and unfettered access for all on Welsh rivers!!

Countryfile is almost completely antiseptic now - a parody on what it should be about.

Questions -

a) Will Countryphobe be at Builth?
b) Will they cover the canoe issue?
c) Will they be balanced in their report if they do?

Call me cynical but somehow I felt I could answer those questions as I wrote them. :(

For a view on the potential conflict between licence paying anglers and paddlers demanding free and open access look here

(My apologies. I know this isn't stalking related but I suspect the majority of members here share a common concern on issues such as this.)

I believe, in France, they have a system where canoeists use the river on odd dates and the anglers on even dates, (or vice versa)

How about canoeists use any uproductive/unimportant rivers and leave the good (fishing/fish healthy ) rivers to the fisherman and the fish?

The canoeist more than likely won't do anything conservation wise to the river.

Well ah well well well! Staggering news . . .

Next Sunday, 19:00 on BBC One

Matt Baker and Julia Bradbury head for the Royal Welsh Show, one of the highlights of the rural calendar, to discover some of the tricks of the trade of livestock showing and to get tips on buying your first pony.

Mind you, if last week's episode was anything to go by don't expect any in-depth farming reports. Pound to a penny it will be ponies for the little dahlings and incomers with their Jacob sheep and awfully rounded vowels. :rolleyes: Jules Hudson, one of the announcers, is himself a loaded incomer, living in a 'charming little cottage' and simply adores the rich, local cultural heritage - which is rapidly disappearing under a flood of his like from beyond Offa's Dyke. Dee-lightful old chap! :evil:

Look here to see why Mr H is so well qualified to present a programme supposedly dedicated to the countryside. Given that depth of experience of rural affairs I'm not surprised the mighty JC gave him a job.

When lots of people marched in London for fieldsports most anglers said dont have nothing to do with us there are to many of us to ban angling and I dont hunt or shoot! Well nobody needs to ban it they can ruin it by stealth! united we stand divided we fall.

Dickie said:
When lots of people marched in London for fieldsports most anglers said dont have nothing to do with us there are to many of us to ban angling and I dont hunt or shoot! Well nobody needs to ban it they can ruin it by stealth! united we stand divided we fall.

Wise words!

A quick update . . .

Evidence of Countryphobe, in the guise of Julia Bradbury, was seen at the show on Monday.

They were not at the Assembly Committe meeting to hear the first evidence reports solicited in response to the Canw Cymru petition. Nor were many canoeists there either, outnumbered by anglers and other sporting types by at least six to one. Those padllers that did show up didn't even have the courtesy to stick it out to the end of the meeting, slipping away after half an hour before the cross examination session began. Clearly they have no genuine interest in engaging with the democratic process beyond their initial shouts and posturing.

Of more than slight concern was the manner in which both a Labour and a Conservative AM addressed the consultees as though the principle of granting open access had already been agreed and that it was simply a matter of refining the process of licenses and permits. Na, na, na!!!!!!

Countryfile, is a program for people that don't live in the country. This type of Tv about rural affairs should involve:

Rivers, trees, moorland sssi's etc
Animals
Farming issued ie. everyones love of Brown
Respecting the countryside
Proper countryside sports :D
Field to plate process on everything

And be hosted by someone who gets it, I'd watch it if that High Fernley-whittingwhathisface of river cottage did it. He's a creature and a half.

Back