Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Underlever for Boar?

Underlever for Boar?

Hi all,just come back from a driven boar trip in France with "Stalking in England",FANTASTIC!!!.....considering getting kitted up for it,currentley have .308 but not allowed until law changes over there although, I here that is in the pipeline,but fancy an underlever of some kind,so,what rifle and what calibre???.....is .357 man enough??

Thanks

Martin

.357 probably not man enough, I do know someone who has Boar on their ticket for their 45-70 marlin though

The 357 is not legal in France for wild boar as i remember, I think .44 magnum is the min pistol caliber for hunting but only for tracking wounded boar .
    If you want a underlever go for a .444 Marlin if you want to use it in france or the 450 Marlin. Ammo can be found in gun shops and in Decathlon stores for both.
    The 45-70 is not allowed in France due to it being a military cartridge still as far as i know ?

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by reiver View Post
    The 357 is not legal in France for wild boar as i remember, I think .44 magnum is the min pistol caliber for hunting but only for tracking wounded boar .If you want a underlever go for a .444 Marlin if you want to use it in france or the 450 Marlin. Ammo can be found in gun shops and in Decathlon stores for both.The 45-70 is not allowed in France due to it being a military cartridge still as far as i know ?Bob
    As far as I know, it's down to individual hunting federations to decide minimum calibres for different species, but the problem is more that pistol calibres are not classified as hunting calibres, rather as target shooting ones. As regards the .45-70, Le Chasseur Francais had a review of a reproduction rolling block rifle in that cartridge a few years ago, having said that it was borderline usable for driven shooting. I think it may have escaped the military cartridge legislation by virtue of being in the "obsolete and pretty much unheard of over here anyway" category.

IMHO 357 will probably just annoy a big boar. I always used a Marlin in 45-70(but i have not hunted in France) .444 would also be a great round for the job.
    Tusker.

Is 45-70 suitable for Boar and readily available??

Yes .45-70 is very suitable for boar, and it is legal and available in France.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I know nothing about boar but I suspect you should be avoiding gallery rifle calibres. Apart from the already mentioned 45/70 there is the Winchester 88 which comes in a variety of proper rifle chamberings if you can find one.

Actually IS 45-70 legal in France? It IS a military cartridge after all... When I mentioned it I hadn't thought of that.