Underlever for Boar?

Guys,

I use a 9.3 x 62 Bolt Action Rifle and my "action" has always been within 25 metres.

Calibre wise, I'm saying nothing, but action wise....

If I were to get a dedicated Boar Gun I would go for a double rifle. You really only have time to squeeze the trigger twice at that range.

I've witnessed comensurate Blaser users empty five rounds as if it were an automatic but no better result.

Stan

Hi all
In France when we pass our DSC1 (brevet grand gibier) you learn that to shoot boar, you need a rifle who develop 2500 joules at 100 metres.
The 45-70 is allowed in France but that rifle doesn't develop that power.
Remember Martin on your first day your second peg, behind you you had a valley where you could have shot at 100m and more. That type of amunition is not powerfull enough at that distance.

David I think you are mistaken perhaps you are looking up the data for the original .45-70 and not that for use in modern firearms. According to my calculations 2500 joules is only 1843ft lb which is easily achieved in a modern .45-70 rifle such as the marlin. I have just looked up some data on the Vihtavuori website and a 350 grain bullet propelled by 53.4 grains of N130 out of a 22" barrel should produce around 2014 fps and 2700ft lb at 100 yards easily achieving the desired muzzle energy. I've done this quickly and should really check my figures.

45-70 or .450 marlin,which is most readily available??
I'd go with the 45-70. I dont know the supply situation over there, but its readily available here. I use a ruger in 45-70, even its original loading is very effective on game, although it wouldnt meet UK power levels. The newer loadings do however and are very powerful, but at a price, the recoil is substancial in hunting wieght rifles.

Although its a potent round, I'd stay away from the 450 Marlin. In my opinion its a dead man walking. I have a few friends who own them and getting ammunition for them here is getting difficult. No other major companies chamber rifles in this calibre and it isn't overly popular. It wouldn't surprise me if it gets dropped in a few years. A local gunshop was selling brand new 450 chambered Marlins last year for under $450 cdn and he still had a hard time moving them. It doesn't help that the 450 has a unique belted case ( its wider than the standard H&H belt ) so you cant easily make your own cases. Just one mans opinion.

AB

Hi 8x57
The data I'found is on "europe chasse" they sell some amunition from Winchester in 45 70, 300gr. the information on that round is:
0m 100m 200m 300m
Speed (m/s) 573 503 434 376
Velocity (joules) 3193 2461 1837 1376
Curve (cm) +2.5 0 -31 -106.7

For me it show that the 45 -70 loses his power as soon as the bullet come out of the barrel.

I've asked a friend yesterday. He used to have one, but he only used it for beating. He said at long distance the bullet drop too much.

Last edited:
How about a BLR? Lever action but proper rifle calibres?

I was thinking the same thing - they do them in .300 win mag and .300 WSM - I've still got a Browning BAR in .270 (in NZ), which whilst not a tack driver, was accurate enough for goat culling at 400 yards - and if the BLR is quick on the reload, it could be a useful boar rifle :thumb:

I don't know if I would like to fire too many rounds of either .300 win mag or .300 wsm in such a light rifle Bregalad, probably make your teeth rattle a bit. I've never actually shot shot either the BAR or BLR myself but I understand from what others tell me that neither or really reputed to be that accurate and that they restrict the shots that they take to shorter distances. In fact I believe that Browning have recently pulled the take down model BLR from sale because of problems with accuracy but the problem may have been overstated.
Didn't the BLR used to be made in Japan for Browning by Mirokou? If so it should be well made.

Hi 8x57
The data I'found is on "europe chasse" they sell some amunition from Winchester in 45 70, 300gr. the information on that round is:
0m 100m 200m 300m

For me it show that the 45 -70 loses his power as soon as the bullet come out of the barrel.

I've asked a friend yesterday. He used to have one, but he only used it for beating. He said at long distance the bullet drop too much.

So the current Winchester loads meet the requirements. The data in the Lee,Vihtavuori and Nobelsport reloading manuals make clear reference to the difference of suitable loads for both older and modern guns and I'm confident that a rifle using loads suitable for modern guns such as the Marlin won't have any difficulty in meeting the requirements. One or two of the guys who have attended the H4H shoot use their rifles for boar shooting and it's obvious that these are big old thumpers and more than up to the task. It's become a bit of a joke with Finnbear270 as to the number of scopes his .45-70 has managed to destroy.

But like you say David the trajectory is quite steep and its really suited to closer ranges and would probably be great for the trackers.

Last edited:
Hi 8x57
0m 100m 200m 300m

I think that's a fairly weedy load to be honest.... I'm getting 1920 fps (585.2 m/s) with a 350 soft point out of my .45-70. That's a muzzle energy of 2865 ftlbs (3896J) and there is still plenty of scope to load hotter than that. I only stopped because it already kicks like a mule. Not sure what this equates to at 100m but I would have thought it would be loads over 2500J limit.

Alex

I don't know if I would like to fire too many rounds of either .300 win mag or .300 wsm in such a light rifle Bregalad, probably make your teeth rattle a bit.

Good point - in .270 wan't an issue but that's nowhere near a .300WSM!, I did like to think the action cycling took some of the kick but may well have been wishful thinking!

Mine was made by FN in Belgium, and may well have been better made than later models - it would do a sub 2" 3 round group with factory ammo at 100 yards - not benchrest but not 'minute of pie' :D

I think I should have worded it better Bregalad, it was the lever rifle that I was refering to as being rather light for some calibres and as being made by Mirokou.
The BAR as far as I know was made elsewhere possibly Belgium but I'm not sure on that. I wouldn't criticise the rifles made in Japan it's just the design of the take down models that seem to be a problem.

.300winmag in a BAR isn't too bad actually I've seen a couple of guys using these and it didn't knock them around too much.

Last edited:
Back