Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fluke

Fluke

Bit of a shame. Finding deer in the woods dead. All yearlings. Don't seem to have anything wrong with them until I cut their liver open. What a mess. The liver was like mush. I count over 100 fluke full grown in half the liver god knows how many immature fluke.
    It has a been a hellish year for fluke. (Well maybe for farmers)
    One farmer phoned up the company that deals with the dead. And told them to bring a empty lorry to pick up 60 ewes.
    I was speaking to a lorry driver for that company. He was telling me he has been non stop since Xmas. He has been picking up 15 dead cows with fluke every day.

Yes, it's hellish.
    It used to be a seasonal problem, but now we're finding it in sheep all year round. And in fairly young lambs, too - basically as soon as they start grazing they're at risk now.
    The accute fluke kills sheep pretty quick, and deer too by the sound of it.
    Our sheep tend to get chronic fluke, which is slower, so we spot the signs and go in with the dosing gun. Touch wood, not lost any ewes from fluke lately, but a batch of store lambs I was planning to fatten and sell just before Christmas lost 5 kg bodyweight each in a month!

Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post
    Yes, it's hellish.
    It used to be a seasonal problem, but now we're finding it in sheep all year round. And in fairly young lambs, too - basically as soon as they start grazing they're at risk now.
    The accute fluke kills sheep pretty quick, and deer too by the sound of it.
    Our sheep tend to get chronic fluke, which is slower, so we spot the signs and go in with the dosing gun. Touch wood, not lost any ewes from fluke lately, but a batch of store lambs I was planning to fatten and sell just before Christmas lost 5 kg bodyweight each in a month!
    We just scan our ewes the day. As they are I. We are just going to dose them again. Better spending a bit of a dose. Rather than a dead ewe

About 50% of the sika we shoot have fluke but even one's with heavy infestations do not seem to be affected. They are still full of fat and in excellent condition. Fluke in sika do not seem to affect antlers in any way either as it does with roe.

Quote Alan413 "We just scan our ewes the day. As they are I. We are just going to dose them again. Better spending a bit of a dose. Rather than a dead ewe"

yeah, we dosed ours for fluke when we scanned them a couple of weeks ago. And when we pulled the rams out. And just before we put the rams in. And back in July. And they'll need doing again by lambing time. It's a bugger. And it's spreading to parts of the country where it's never been seen before.

We never used to have a fluke problem. The last few years it has crawled in. I don't have many deer as it is. Don't think I will be shooting any here this year. Might have to find a new area.

That's interesting. And terrible. How many deer have you found dead from fluke?

3 or4 where I live and where I beat. The keeper is having a lot die on him.
    Just going around the stock this morn. Find a healthy doe and twins grazing away. Nice to see

I was just going to post a thread to ask if anyone else is having a flook problen with their roe population when I came accross this one. We have had to finish three off on shoot days and have found the remains of a few more, the local farmers are struggling to keep their sheep alive

the same oot on island of mull. hind cull showing lots of fluke hinds this year and we had a very dry summer