Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: deer spotted

deer spotted

Just a bit of advice,having lived at my place for 5 years,I have never seen deer although MY syndicate has a lot of ground only 20 mins drive away,My son saw 2 last night heading for a 1 acre wood that I can see as I type would it be worth while putting some attractor blocks in this wood or mollassis just to hold them or draw others Regards Tone,,,

What sort were they? Different deer like different things!

deer spotted

not sure he,s not knowledgable,more than likely to be fallow as thats the main species locally had a look tonight deer slots in gap in hedge look quite big he only saw 2 in head lights and that was the only gap they could find,Tone,,

tony
    don't take this the wrong way
    but in 5 years you hav never seen a deer and still hav not
    you saw slots but hav you identified which species they are from
    you say your syndicate has a lot of ground but no deer on it and an acre wood is nothing if you are hoping to attract deer to live in
    that is why they are not in it all year round
    if you think they are fallow as that is the main species think why they hav not been seen before in the last 5 years
    any attractant will only keep them there for a short time once all the local food source has gone
    ie due to harvest or set-a-sides sprayed off, so will the deer if they are fallow
    best thing to do is identify which species the slots are from then come back for a better form of advice
    as roe are on the move due to rutting and fallow are transitory
    i am afraid you need to be a little more precise in your ID of the species
    so you hav some thing to work with
    Regards

deer spotted

I never siad my ground had no deer in fact its 10,000 acres and there are plenty of deer,mainly fallow,there are lots of satelite copses between me and this estate,as I am a novice stalker I cannot say what deer produced these tracks,Tone,,,

Re: deer spotted

Quote Originally Posted by tony brownhill
    I never siad my ground had no deer in fact its 10,000 acres and there are plenty of deer,mainly fallow,there are lots of satelite copses between me and this estate,as I am a novice stalker I cannot say what deer produced these tracks,Tone,,,
    Tony
    like i said
    Please don't take this the wrong way
    you originally posted this

Quote Originally Posted by tony brownhill
    Just a bit of advice,having lived at my place for 5 years,I have never seen deer although MY syndicate has a lot of ground only 20 mins drive away,My son saw 2 last night heading for a 1 acre wood that I can see as I type would it be worth while putting some attractor blocks in this wood or mollassis just to hold them or draw others Regards Tone,,,

i can only offer my advice from what you post
    ie 5 years lot of ground ,never seen deer
    your words not mine
    if you now say you hav deer on the ground fair enough i don't care,
    it did not say that or even implied there was or was not in your original posty
    but now if you know you hav fallow
    go look at the slots the fallow make and compare to the ones you hav seen if they are not simmilar then photos and describe will help
    if they are exact then you hav a starting point but Roe and Fallow bucks slots often get mixed up as they are quite similar to an untrained eye
    but please don't get het up when others are trying to help
    as a novice stalker as you describe yourself, then take a little advice here
    try and ldentify what slots are wot ,and that way you will hav a better understanding which species and sex of deer are moving around your patch and when
    think that might be usefull for the future your guess is as good as mine
    i know what i think , others will hav different opinions
    but years down the line i feel you will be offering the same advice as i am giving you know
    take it at face value and go from there

Regards

Tony,
    From what you have said, they probably are fallow. The trouble with fallow is that they are fairly nocturnal and will travel large distances to feed at night. The fact that they were seen in the headlights would indicate that they are indeed nocturnally transient. If there is not enough cover for them to hide in during daylight hours, you will never hold them in that area. You might get lucky and find the odd pricket decides to hang around but nothing more than that. I have a similar area which is riddled with fallow slots but I've only ever seen one in the daylight there. They live in a wood about a mile from there. Best to find out where they live in the day and wait there at VERY first light!
    Good luck!

deer spotted

Thanks Monkey spanner and stone for your help sorry about reply I think I have spent to long on other web site where if you ask what the weathers doing you get torn to bits regards Tone,

Tony, i`ve spent some time on the phone with Stone of late. A very knowledgable man, pm him. A whole new world will open, trust me.
    basil.

deer spotted

Thanks Bas
    will do,how is the new job have you reached the ground hog day yet,same old same old,been a bit busy raising my peregrines lately,cant wait to get stalking again,once I get some money sorted,Regards Tone,,