Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cwd- stupid question probably

Cwd- stupid question probably

Hi learned members of SD. I have never seen a cwd in the flesh and until I joined this site had never seen one on pics either. Now. How do you gender them? I google images them both and they both have tusk. Unless that's just google image showing any random cwd.
    I recently learned roe does not only have a head without antlers but also have an anal tush which is a give away. Is the cwd similar?

Any help appreciated. And please don't slate me if its obvious. I'm new to stalking.

Sean.

Male CWD's have much longer (2-3 inch) tusks than the female which rarely extend below the lip.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    Male CWD's have much longer (2-3 inch) tusks than the female which rarely extend below the lip.
    And can you tell straight away? Can you only gender them from the head?

Hi Sean no expert but think the only way to tell them is the male has the tusks,but only when it gets a bit older.Hope this helps.
    Mick

Thankyou for the replies. I don't think These are deer for beginners. (If there's such a thing)

They will show full grown tusks at 18month old, the tusks dont start to erupt until they are about 6-7 months old.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

I don't think you need to worry about getting slated. We all have something to learn. It doesn't seem to go on as much on this forum as on others. Or at least not for stuff like this anyway.

I don't know too much about CWD but I'll hazard a guess that females don't have tusks.

When shooting Roe at certain times of year sometimes the sex isn't immeadiately obvious (cast antlers ect) at times like these you can use indicators like shape of the white patch on bum (in addition to the tush on a doe it tends to be more kidney shaped on a buck) and then the giveaway on a buck if you can see it will be the genitalia!

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    I don't think you need to worry about getting slated. We all have something to learn. It doesn't seem to go on as much on this forum as on others. Or at least not for stuff like this anyway.

I don't know too much about CWD but I'll hazard a guess that females don't have tusks.

When shooting Roe at certain times of year sometimes the sex isn't immeadiately obvious (cast antlers ect) at times like these you can use indicators like shape of the white patch on bum (in addition to the tush on a doe it tends to be more kidney shaped on a buck) and then the giveaway on a buck if you can see it will be the genitalia!
    I think i will be shooting supervised for some time. I'm always willing to learn and research from here and field practice is the key. I didn't know deer cast their antlers until two week ago. Yet my dad who doesn't have an interest in deer stalking did. Places like this are great for education and the banter. Thankyou to all who replied.

Ps after looking a more pics it seems some of the pictures are bucks even though I searched cwd doe. That's where the confusion came.

... a few replies in the time it took me to write that!

Quote Originally Posted by seanct View Post
    Thankyou for the replies. I don't think These are deer for beginners. (If there's such a thing)
    With stalking any quarry you will get better at it by studying it. Same goes for any deer species. You will start to be quicker identifying sex and rough age as well as predicting if its relaxed or about to take flight and know when to place the shot.