Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Home-brewing

Home-brewing

HI a little off the subject but I'm thinking as been for a while about home brewing.

I love and only drink real ales, red wine and whisky certainly after a day on the hill.

I've been thinking about home brew for a while now and wondering does anybody from here do it..??

But mainly what are the taste qualities like for it. One advantage is I will always have it on tap instead of driving 6 miles to my local shop for a bottle or two (before I have had a drink).

Not sure what else to mention but feel free to ask any questions.

Say tastes are my main concern not storage or time waiting.

I don't brew ales, but I do brew root beer (non alcoholic) and have a co-worker who has been brewing beers since his college days. It is evidently very easy as he was telling me yesterday that he brewed 12 gallons of his favorite concoction last Saturday evening alone. He prefers kegs and as you mentioned, always has his brew "on tap". The internet is littered with home brewing sites. I know because every time I'm looking for this guy to share some of the work load he's on a brew site checking out what's new.~Muir

PS: There are 'clone' recipes for about every popular beer or ale on the internet.

There are forums dedicated to this,just like ones for hunting & shooting.
    I've played with it, but just getting things perfect is an art.
    I must say though,that even if you don't get the taste just right,you will reduce the hangover the next day. I can only imagine what sort of fertiliser they must add to the fermernter in some commercial opp's.

Cheers Sharkey

big steve at the pub is a proper expert on it but watch out because you can make some serious gear. Get a brewing kit and do a couple of off the shelf brews going first to get the hang of doing it and then tailor your own method and ingredients when you're confident you'll make something interesting.

Cheers folks for the comments.
    I like 6/7% ales and stouts etc.

Sounds tempting so far. I have seen starter kits on the web etc but wondering if there is any one not to far away but I can travel if willing to show me the ropes on what to do and purchase. That way I can let them no on what I want and need instead of being told you need this and that etc from retailers.

when you say home brewing it depends on how far you want to go, their are the kits you can buy that with little effort will produce a drinkable pint in a couple of weeks, or you can go down the route of building your own mash tun and staritng from first principles. both can be good but the second method is a hobby rather than a means to an end.

Morrisons seems to have a reasonable stock of basic brewing kit, good eonugh tyo get you up and running.

Simon

Account Suspended
    I first brewed a "school-boy" double sugar "super-lager" (brewed on the MORE is MORE principle) when I was about 15... it was vile... stank the house out even though I tried to keep it a secret from mum and dad and they made us drink the lot... "NEVER AGAIN" was a phrase I recall using at that time.

10 years later someone bought me a brew kit as a present and I brewed a few drinkable batches of beer, but shortly after that a young family and a struggling business took up my time on an 25/8 basis.

20 years later I remembered I had actually enjoyed a dabble or six into the world of home-brew... and I only really remembered this because I was given about 50kg of plums and in thinking of ways to use them all up I decided to have a crack at wine making.... This at first produced about 5 gallons of very fruity vinegar... Not to be daunted I added a heap more sugar, fermented it a second time and this time killed the ferment while it was still actually sweet enough to consume without your face turning inside out... It was a hit... but it did have an alcohol level around the 20% (abv) mark... Micky was never more finnish... It was just too easy to drink. Three nice big glassfuls was enough, for most people, to turn their intelligent conversation into hysterical gibberish... Very entertaining.

I finally kept going with the craft after the "Plum Wine" only to learn that the range of available product is now immense. The equipment nowadays is excellent and not expensive and the various "kits" give good reliable booze at really very little cost... More important is the satisfaction of producing something yourself which, once you get through the "teething" process, is actually quite good.... even when judged by others.

As a for-instance... for some inexplicable reason my wife decided to buy a bottle of Mateus Rose the other day... thirty years ago many folk considered that stuff drinkable, quite sophisticated even. It's vile. We had to wash our mouths out with a glass of homemade Peach and Ginger wine after... laaavely!

Quote Originally Posted by weeman View Post
    HI a little off the subject but I'm thinking as been for a while about home brewing.

I love and only drink real ales, red wine and whisky certainly after a day on the hill.

I've been thinking about home brew for a while now and wondering does anybody from here do it..??

But mainly what are the taste qualities like for it. One advantage is I will always have it on tap instead of driving 6 miles to my local shop for a bottle or two (before I have had a drink).

Not sure what else to mention but feel free to ask any questions.

Say tastes are my main concern not storage or time waiting.
    My father and I use to do a lot a few years ago after buying the kit.It's straight forward,the molasses type tin can be bought on the net,then you add x amount of boiling water,sugar yeast ect check the temp,and leave for a few weeks.I can't remember the whole process exactly but we did wine and cider also and also were more than drinkable.
    I don't think it was potentially rocket fuel strength but strong enough at around 4%.

the kit was something similar to those in the link, although we just used the bucket before straining into the keg.
    beer starter kits | The Home Brew Shop

I brewed my own beers for a few years, and only stopped when I started travelling for my job.

I was lucky as there was a real brewing shop local to me, and the kits were all hops in bags and real ale ingredients which required boiling simmering etc.
    Some of the best brews I made were brown ale.
    I preferred to bottle everything, so that if I had a particularly good brew I could save some.

As already suggested, buy an off the shelf kit and start from there.

Don't bother with a keg, they are fraught with problems, buy bottles.... Much better taste and no leaks unlike the kegs.
    Sterilise well.
    sterilise well
    sterilise well
    Did I mention to sterilise well?

buy 2x5 gallon food drums and silicon seal an air lock into the lid.

use brewers sugar....better flavour.
    once initial fermentation is finished(about a week to ten days depending on temp) decant off into the second drum. Add 6-8oz sugar, mix, then decant into sterilised bottles. Seal. Leave for a week at warm room temp. Transfer to cooler room for a week. Drink. Be happy
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks