Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Single rifle caliber choice - 6.5 x 55 or a .308??

Single rifle caliber choice - 6.5 x 55 or a .308??

I know this will probably be down to personal choice but I thought I would ask what everyone thought about choosing a 'popular' single caliber for shooting mostly Fallow and Roe with the occasional Red.

I am just getting back into stalking again and I used to use a .308 back in the 90's. I only used something this big back then because I was involved with Deer farming and park management where large Reds were the norm.

I quite fancy the 6.5 x 55 and from everyone tells me so far, it's a nice round to shoot and is a good middle of the road choice. What do you all think, is there another choice I should look at?

both or either but in honesty the .308 with a greater diameter of bullet and larger upper end weight carries more authority to to beast

6.5 x55 if you want to try mine you are welcome.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

I use a 6.5x55 and a 308 and both are excellent.
    You could always split the difference and get a 7mm08.

After 33 years of rifles, i have now all my estate deer rifles at .308, gone are the .270's 6.5x55's etc.....

You want a .308 go buy a Tika T3 , shoots fine out of the box, get a X8 fixed scope, and you will be where it took me decades to work out for deer stalking.

Both are good but as you are going for Fallow and Roe the 6.5x55 may be better, just because it's a bit smoother to shoot, less meat damage (although that depends on your 308 load) and still perfectly adequate for Reds. I use both and a 7mm-08 for all these deer but do find the 7mm the favorite.

I vote .308 , and just to clear up the meat damage argument , you'll do less damage with a .308 150 grn bullet than you will a 80grn .243 bullet . In my experience . I've been using my .308 on roe , but have also shot fallow and red . A good friend of mines about to get a 6.5 and I'm really looking forward to having a go !

My advice is to visit the local gun shops in the areas where you shoot and ask to see the ammo they have in 309 and 6.5, and the prices. Getting a reliable supply of ammo, or reloading gear, means you don't spend half your time driving around the country looking for ammo when you could be out stalking.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    My advice is to visit the local gun shops in the areas where you shoot and ask to see the ammo they have in 309 and 6.5, and the prices. Getting a reliable supply of ammo, or reloading gear, means you don't spend half your time driving around the country looking for ammo when you could be out stalking.
    Without trying to sound rude , any gunshop that doesn't stock .308 ammo wouldn't be worth visiting again . You can get it all over the world .