Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope magnification for running boar/deer (BSRC ranges)

Scope magnification for running boar/deer (BSRC ranges)

Hello everyone.

I'm planning to buy a .22RF with which to practice on the running boar range at the BSRC in Bisley and am looking at a used Swarovski Habicht Nova in 4x32 to go on top of it. I'll have a variable magnification scope on the fullbore rifle for the running deer range, so I can adapt that. My question is whether 4x magnification is excessive for moving targets at 50m, which I believe to be the range for running boar.

I need to make my mind up in the next few days on this particular scope. Thanks!

I would have thought that would be too much to pick up the target at that range......just come back from Boar shooting in France and had a 1.25-4x24 scope and had it set on 1.25 both days,tried on 4 and was way too high.......going for open sights when I get my new rifle for the job....its real shotgun style shooting....

I run an eotech ontop and have found that ideal, I did have a 1.25 x scope on but that was to much for me, the rifle I am having built will be running open sights. 4x mag would be awkward to shoot running boar for me.

PM,
    The guys at the BSRC will be full of advice, Steve might even be able to point you in the direction of SH scopes for sale, best of luck
    T
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work

Thanks everyone. I'll just use open sights to start with I think, then work out what I need.

4x would be ideal. That is the magnification of the competition 'twin post' rifle scopes, so I'd go with what you have.
    Nickel AG: Running Target riflescopes

Quote Originally Posted by JabaliHunter View Post
    4x would be ideal. That is the magnification of the competition 'twin post' rifle scopes, so I'd go with what you have.
    Nickel AG: Running Target riflescopes
    Presumably they're designed to shoot running deer targets at 100m though. The equivalent for a same-sized target at 50m would be 2x magnification, wouldn't it? It strikes me that this means I need a low-mag variable scope like a 1.25-6x42 which I can also use in the field (it's primarily a practice rifle, but not only). Only that then becomes an expensive solution, damn it.

Pine Martin don't waste your time or money yet, talk to the guys at the club they will put you right. Your needs for the range may/will be quite different to real sporting and driven boar shooting and there are some very knowledable and experienced shooters at the BSRC.
    Last edited by 8x57; 31-01-2013 at 10:35.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Pine Martin don't waste your time or money yet, talk to the guys at the club they will put you right. Your needs for the range may/will be quite different to real sporting and driven boar shooting and there is some very knowledable and experienced shooters at the BSRC.
    I realise that they're different, but what I'm trying to do with the .22 is to replicate the fullbore setup (it will have a 2.5x12-50 scope on it) whilst also being able to use the rifle for rabbits etc. I really don't want to buy two scopes for it. And obviously I don't have an unlimited budget. Hence why I'm trying to work out the best compromise.

You probably won't have to spend a lot of money on a suitable scope for the .22 you may even find that one of the club members is selling something suitable. Just be patient my friend there are no end of people out there only too willing to part you from your hard earned cash.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.