Looking to replace my .22 rimfire

Blackdog

I am looking to replace my rather tired Mauser 107 .22 lfb bolt action rifle. I have seen the CZ 452 silhouette but now also the zkm 455 thumbhole. There is also the Weihrauch HW 60 and the Anschutz XIV. does anyone own any of the above or have any sound advice please? I currently run a 12" barrel so want to keep the new one short too. Hoping to handle a few at the show next week.
Thanks
Steve

ive a1417 thumbhole with 14" barrel and its fantastic, light, short and beautifully built , highly recommend it, ive also a Finnfire hunter 18" barrel , a bit longer ( mini c/f build tbo) and in my opinion with a better trigger than the annie,but not a better stock, both as accurate as each other and both top of the tree for rimmies, i couldnt choose which is better if being honest ,

If you are after a working rifle i would heartily recommend the 452 , i have had a 452 'style' (black synthetic stock / nickel finish metalwork ) for about 15 years (it replaced an old no'2 Brno ) , shrugs off all weathers and total neglect / abuse ,the only thing that needs sorting is the trigger - easily / cheaply done with a brooks trigger kit , i have several other rimfires inc' sako finnfire , Anschutz , Walther but the CZ is as accurate and reliable as anything out there ,heard some less than complimentary comments on the new model cz's (post 452 models) - cheap /simplified build that has not improved the rifle - but thats only heresay as i have not handled one yet .

Without a doubt CZ all day and every day. I have the thumbhole virson before that I borrowed my sons CZ that had had thousands of rounds through it. Both rifles supremly accurate and totaly reliable. if money was no object I would still have a CZ. Trigger job was about £20.Some may disagree but I think that this is the best rimfire ever made.
Tusker.

Ill second the cz , which is a fantastic rifle . Most people who have a rim fire for work have one, but I've never felt the need to get the trigger done .

I've had aa Anschutz 17/10 for years, brilliant rifle, the Weihrauch is excellent too. better wood than the Annie, nothing to choose between them for accuracy. However, my mate has a CZ American that does just as good a job as the others for a fraction of the cost,

CZ Rimfire

See Tartinjock on here he has a nice CZ 452 for sale, good price and they are as good as everyone says. I also own one and wouldnt part with it or see any need to chage for a CZ455. the 452 has a crisp trigger from factory and if you wanted to adjust the trigger you can get kits for around £10 on ebay to modify to your needs.Good luck

hi bud, ive got a cz 455 laminate varmint with the thumbhole stock and 16 inch barrel its a cracking wee gun, really accurate with eley subs. As said above the trigger was a bit shabby and i got a rimfire magic kit for £12 and fitted it in jig time and it totally transfors the trigger

A CZ 452. The 455 lacks the extra locking lug of the 452 and only locks up on the bolt handle root. Why they would change 60+ years of successful design -other than to save production cost- is beyond me. I can't help but look a the 455 as the 'economy' model of the 452 and a lesser gun in the viewing.~Muir

Thanks for all the advice, I like the idea of the CZ thumbhole, my mate has the american and it shoots well. Will look at the show next week
ATB
Steve

I am looking to replace my rather tired Mauser 107 .22 lfb bolt action rifle. I have seen the CZ 452 silhouette but now also the zkm 455 thumbhole. There is also the Weihrauch HW 60 and the Anschutz XIV. does anyone own any of the above or have any sound advice please? I currently run a 12" barrel so want to keep the new one short too. Hoping to handle a few at the show next week.
Thanks
Steve

Had a few of the CZ's and still do have one in .17. Great value for money, rugged and accurate. But to slightly depart from the rifles you mentioned how about an underlever? Picked up an old scruffy Marlin Mountie .22 (based on the Marlin 39a) a year ago and gave it 'cosmetic surgery', it looks 'nearly new' now but more to the point it's fast and accurate (it can shoot an inch at 100 yards!) and great fun.

I have just ordered a CZ thumbhole from Mike Norris, He is going to supply it with a tuned trigger too. Now I have just sold my mauser, need to apply for a one for one variation and all sorted (I Hope)
Steve

I've got an HW60J. Well I've got two actually, an HMR as well. 14" barrel, lovely rifle. Beautiful trigger, particularly if you like your triggers two stage. The quality of the finish is top notch. The HMR has had some hard work over the last 3 years and has proved to be as tough as nails. The wood is very good quality walnut that can really take the knocks.
The CZs, for me, are just too small. I feel cramped. (I'm 5'11, regular build and shape). The Weihrauch is a far better fit, feels like an 'adult' gun. (Try before you buy). Anschutz 1417 feels slighty better again to be honest, more room on the palm grip.
The HW60J has a hogsback Bavarian stock with schnabel fore end which doesn't take a bipod particularly well. It'll do it but the tulip shaped tip isn't ideal. Doesn't bother me, I hate bipods, but the standard sporter stock is better suited to bipods. The only quibble I have with the HW is that they only do 5 shot mags and they are expensive and hard to find if you lose one.
I've had Kricos and BSAs in the past and although the refinement of the HW doesn't matter or produce any more rabbits, its damn nice to have and if I changed the rifle it would only be for an Anschutz.

+ 1 more for the cz, first .22 i ever bought fired thousands of rounds through it never had a problem, made a mistake & chopped it in for a ruger semi10.22,bought another cz last year second hand in new condition with niko sterling scope..£200,...normal service resumed. ! what a worktool

CZ only choice really. Brilliant guns

Got to agree here...I've got the .22 Silhouette, and the 17hmr Silhouette rifles, both fantastically accurate , and very reliable guns for little money...my .22 is a 2009 gun, paid £320 for it in 2010, and the HMR is a 2008 gun, paid £270 for it in 2012...
Good luck with whatever you buy..:)

If your looking at sporting rifles the Cz (perhaps with a trigger mod) will be fine. If you want to spend more money that's your business but the bullets won't be grouped any better. Step away from the Ruger semis.

Back