Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Training a tracking dog

Training a tracking dog

Ok Guys ,
    Ive got a four year old black lab that I've trained and been using for rough shooting etc, she's got a good nose and although not champion standard (my training not the dog) she's not bad.
    My question is I'd also like to use her when I'm stalking, are the two disciplines compatible? Is she to old to train? and how would you go about training her.

http://dogsfordeers.co.uk/books-to-r...-peter-carr-s/
    Get your self a load of blood and a stick.

Hello , i'm sorry but i dont think the dog will come to it , i work a lab on deer & use as a peg dog at which she excells , but the first job was deer , two full years on deer so she is rock steady, she walks to heel, sits under a high seat unteathered, deer come within feet of her dos'nt move a muscle, will sit and not move if she scents a deer i've not spotted(this gets me 4 or 5 a year) but this must be the first job , nothing but deer ,scent trails sit &stay heel work.if they have been used for rough shooting groundngame is there number one occupation.......The upside is any dog is better than no dog

my old lab lucy had allways bin a rough shooting dog picking up ect I got her at 4 year old i started to take he stalking and she fit in IT was if she turned a switch on in her head walked be hind me and when i shot a deer told her to find it and she did I had a runner told her to find it she did and gave voice when I found her she was laid on it bargain IT was if she could tell the diff shotgun or rifle

Hi DCG,
    I am in a simlar psition to you with a 4 year old lab bitch that has been used as a peg dog and for a bit of rough shooting etc. She is no FTCh but is steady enough. Since starting stalking I have tried laying some trails with cleeves and been extendending these gradually and she seems to be getting the idea and will follow them well (and has remained steady to deer on the shoot thankfully). I have yet to take her stalking but think I will do shortly. While she maynot ever be as efficent as a dedicted deer dog (what ever the breed) but she is good company and has a better nose than me.
    I often think dogs are more able to understand whats required in different situations than we give them credit for and I am sure they pick up on cues we don't even realise we are giving (she behaves differently if we are out rough shooting/beating/on a peg/in a hide/or out rabbiting with the .22 or sitting out for a fox).
    My advice would be to give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by Bart308 View Post
    Hi DCG,
    I am in a simlar psition to you with a 4 year old lab bitch that has been used as a peg dog and for a bit of rough shooting etc. She is no FTCh but is steady enough. Since starting stalking I have tried laying some trails with cleeves and been extendending these gradually and she seems to be getting the idea and will follow them well (and has remained steady to deer on the shoot thankfully). I have yet to take her stalking but think I will do shortly. While she maynot ever be as efficent as a dedicted deer dog (what ever the breed) but she is good company and has a better nose than me.
    I often think dogs are more able to understand whats required in different situations than we give them credit for and I am sure they pick up on cues we don't even realise we are giving (she behaves differently if we are out rough shooting/beating/on a peg/in a hide/or out rabbiting with the .22 or sitting out for a fox).
    My advice would be to give it a try
    You should give your Lab a chance to prove herself, i'm sure she will come good, dogs are very versatile, Labs more than most, I have have two, a spriger and now a GWP, my old Lab, sadly has cancer, hence the new dog, but she was itroduced to deer at about four, mainly Muntjac, but she took to it with out any specific training, she to is steady to all game, including deer. Give her a go or two, I bet she will be ok, plus it adds another pleasure to stalking when your dog helps you out. I never go shooting with out one.
    Good luck. Navaran5.

My stalking buddy and I use a lab but it is trained for deer work solely .labs are versatile but I think you will always have doubt in your mind as to wether the dog is following bird scent / rabbit scent Ect or the deer you require it to track ,by all means take the dog as a stalking companion and see how it does or how will you know if you don't try ! After all far too many so called deer dogs sit in a kennel and don't get to see a deer let alone go stalking on a regular basis .
    good luck
    norma

Thanks for all of the replies guys, from initially thinking it wouldn't work, I'm deffinately going to give it a try. If it works I'll let you all know, if you don't hear anything then you know how it's gone!!!
    Dcg

Quote Originally Posted by highseat6.5 View Post
    Hello , i'm sorry but i dont think the dog will come to it , i work a lab on deer & use as a peg dog at which she excells , but the first job was deer , two full years on deer so she is rock steady, she walks to heel, sits under a high seat unteathered, deer come within feet of her dos'nt move a muscle, will sit and not move if she scents a deer i've not spotted(this gets me 4 or 5 a year) but this must be the first job , nothing but deer ,scent trails sit &stay heel work.if they have been used for rough shooting groundngame is there number one occupation.......The upside is any dog is better than no dog
    Wow
    with out actually seeing the dog work you come to the decision the dog won't make it
    how strange...!!!!
    I hav an eight year old spaniel that could prove you wrong and that is a dog that has been trained as a beating from the off
    but there are plenty of working bred dogs out there that are not interested in deer , so no point using them to find a lost deer because they simply won't work a track or trail , even on simple tracks/trails
    been there , done that
    is that the sort of dog that is better than no dog ??

the upshot is , if you hav a breed of dog that is keen on hunting
    then the chances are it will hav enough wanting drive to follow a simple blood trail
    if it cannot then you will know if your dog is worth taking to the next level and training or harnessing it's abilities towards deer work
    if it shows potential then yes persue
    it may not be the best dog in the world but should help assit you to recover some deer that you alone may not be able to find
    but there are people out there with dogs trained to a very high standard that are willing to help try and find the lost deer you are not able to
    sort of fall back plan just incase