Thread: CZ527 Varmint mounted with S&B 8x56

CZ527 Varmint mounted with S&B 8x56

Has anybody got a S&B 8x56 scope mounted on a CZ527 Varmint and if so what mounts have you used?
    I have heard that clearance from the ocular bell to the bolt can be an issue.
    Are there any issues with the short distance between the rings with respect to getting optimum eye relief?

Regards

I've had a 2.5-10x50 Zeiss on my 527 with no problems, the turrets ended up centred between the Warne 30mm rings.

Neil.

Neil
    Thanks for that.
    Sounds like you had plenty of room for adjustment for eye relief.
    What height warne rings (medium or high)?
    Also, do you know what the outside diameter of the eyepiece was on that scope and what clearance you got from the bolt?
    Could you for instance get a flip up on the eyepiece without it fouling when you opened the bolt?
    I am just toying with the idea of replacing a Bushnell 3200 (10*40) which has minimal clearance to the bolt on the eyepiece.
    I havnt checked but I probably have the Warne 1" medium rings and I think the diameter of the eyepiece is around 40mm.
    I accept that I will probably have to purchase a set of high rings.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
    NeilThanks for that.Sounds like you had plenty of room for adjustment for eye relief.What height warne rings (medium or high)?Also, do you know what the outside diameter of the eyepiece was on that scope and what clearance you got from the bolt?Could you for instance get a flip up on the eyepiece without it fouling when you opened the bolt?I am just toying with the idea of replacing a Bushnell 3200 (10*40) which has minimal clearance to the bolt on the eyepiece.I havnt checked but I probably have the Warne 1" medium rings and I think the diameter of the eyepiece is around 40mm.I accept that I will probably have to purchase a set of high rings.Cheers
    You may have to purchase the high mounts as i have a S&B 8x56 on my steyr scout, i had to buy the extra high because theres no drop off after rhe reciever! hope this helps dev
    "I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion".Alexander The Great

if you've got the hogback stock you may find the high line of sight a pain, and you might in turn be better off with a x42-x44 objective bell.

if you've got a rollover or monte carlo, you've got more to play with on the 50mm and 56mm front

My scope rings were Warne Mediums 9.52mm or .374", the Ocular bell is 41mm.
    My bolt handle has been ground down a little, but from memory it wasn't needed for this scope.

Neil.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zeiss on CZ527.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	279.3 KB 
ID:	24207

Quote Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
    Has anybody got a S&B 8x56 scope mounted on a CZ527 Varmint and if so what mounts have you used?
    I have heard that clearance from the ocular bell to the bolt can be an issue.
    Are there any issues with the short distance between the rings with respect to getting optimum eye relief?

Regards
    You haven't said what mounts or ' scope tube diameter you've got, but I'll take a stab at this.

The CZ527 American I have comes equipped with the lowest CZ mounts. These are medium in comparison with other makes, probably on purpose.

The ocular ring diameter on Leupold 'scopes is 40mm, on S&B fixed models is 41mm and the bolt handle clears both makes on mine.

Leupold 'scopes have a very long eye relief, so the short CZ action & sight base means these usually have to be shoved forward right up to the rear of the bridge 'scope ring. At least that's what I found with a Leupold M8 6x42. A Leupold variable made this even worse due to the power selector ring. It all looked a bit weird and was a nuisance.

S&B fixed 'scopes have standard eye relief so they end up more central between the rings. There are already a number of posts on this topic if you do a search. A few on here have ground down the base of the bolt handle to overcome the problem of chunkier eyepieces. There are other dedicated CZ mounts from other makers which are fractionally lower, but these are still a bit higher than the norm so should still clear.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

It seems that with Warne Maxima mounts then the bottom of the tube to the base measurement is the same for both 1" and 30mm rings. What this means is that there is less likely to be an issue with fouling either the objective to the barrel or the eyepiece to the bolt handle if a 30mm tube is used comared to a 1" tube. So with the likes of the S&B 8x56 which is available in 1" and 30mm, there will be more clearance with the 30mm scope. The 30mm rings give effectively a lift of 2.3mm over the 1" rings ((30mm-25.4mm)/2=2.3mm) which might be the difference in getting flip ups on or not. Anybody got a S&B 8x56 with 30mm rings and Warne maxima high mounts and would like to comment on this? regards

So here goes, 8x56 S&B 30mm to a cz varmint, in particular to show the barrel clearance with Warne high mounts.
    Optimal clearance to the barrel.
    A 1" version of the same scope would not clear, with 1" Warne high rings.
    Cheers
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000297a.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	26662Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000296a.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	26663