• Stumble through

31 34.83%
  • Books

54 60.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Education

Education

What type of education have you used to improve your deer stalking techniques i have made this poll so you can vote on as many as you like.
    Last edited by 6pointer; 31-01-2013 at 10:11.

The good old fashioned time proven technique Davie. Hands on, learn from mistakes and the sh*t filter turned right up for when some start to talk p*sh! My wife says hers is also up at full level...

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    What type of education have you used to improve your deer stalking techniques i have made this poll so you can vote on as many as you like.
    Not sure you've included all the options. I make a conscious effort each year to take a trip to somewhere new. Last year's trip was with John Robson, this year's trip comes up shortly with muntjacstalker. There's no substitute to walking behind a professional and watching what he does and how he does it. Regards JCS

I was trained by one of the best, so hands on for me. I have seen how other people do things and I adapt their ideas to suit me. To much ***** on the Internet posted by people with the gift of the gab who don't know as much as they think.

Al

Agree with Jamross and learned a lot over the years using similar basic guidelines. Also though i have learned from other sources books, best practice etc etc.

Probably a bit from Davie as well.

For me "mentor" means quizzing experienced stalkers about how they'd deal with something I've come across or thought of. Internet is basically you tube for butchery demos or versions of skinning etc. occasional books on dog training, the best practice guide via DI and some practical days run on good practice,larder work,impact assessment etc

Is the poll specifically for the stalking of the deer rather than everything else before and after?

I've learnt more from a few mentors/mates in a few hours than I have in months of courses and internet trawling - nothing beats being shown the ropes.

University of life for me.

Why are the DSC 1-2 courses not listed? A 3 day course counts as an education to me.
    Martin