Education

Education

• Total voters

6pointer

What type of education have you used to improve your deer stalking techniques i have made this poll so you can vote on as many as you like.

Last edited:
The good old fashioned time proven technique Davie. Hands on, learn from mistakes and the sh*t filter turned right up for when some start to talk p*sh! My wife says hers is also up at full level...

What type of education have you used to improve your deer stalking techniques i have made this poll so you can vote on as many as you like.

Not sure you've included all the options. I make a conscious effort each year to take a trip to somewhere new. Last year's trip was with John Robson, this year's trip comes up shortly with muntjacstalker. There's no substitute to walking behind a professional and watching what he does and how he does it. Regards JCS

I was trained by one of the best, so hands on for me. I have seen how other people do things and I adapt their ideas to suit me. To much ***** on the Internet posted by people with the gift of the gab who don't know as much as they think.

Al

Agree with Jamross and learned a lot over the years using similar basic guidelines. Also though i have learned from other sources books, best practice etc etc.

Probably a bit from Davie as well. :D

For me "mentor" means quizzing experienced stalkers about how they'd deal with something I've come across or thought of. Internet is basically you tube for butchery demos or versions of skinning etc. occasional books on dog training, the best practice guide via DI and some practical days run on good practice,larder work,impact assessment etc

I've learnt more from a few mentors/mates in a few hours than I have in months of courses and internet trawling - nothing beats being shown the ropes.

Not sure you've included all the options. I make a conscious effort each year to take a trip to somewhere new. Last year's trip was with John Robson, this year's trip comes up shortly with muntjacstalker. There's no substitute to walking behind a professional and watching what he does and how he does it. Regards JCS

+1

Ive stalked with loads of great fella's off here and ive picked something up from each of them.

Terry

I learned more in 3 weeks with a contract stalker than in 5 years on the internet you cannot believe some of the crap people post on the internet

Me too, being with a pro and watching/learning is invaluable
I do also agree there is a place for literature and theory study but nothing beats hands on experience when shown correctly

learned from being around a pro stalker and gamekeepers and am still very much learning, ntersting to see how many value learning from a pro stalker, seems that the dsc course isnt the be all and end all of deer stalking education!

Why are the DSC 1-2 courses not listed? A 3 day course counts as an education to me.
Martin
I'd go along with that but it does depend on what your experience level is when you sit them. Someone who has several years of stalking under their belt is going to get less from them than someone making their entry into stalking. Best bit though is being with other like minded people.

Terry and JCS if you go out with a pro you are being mentored if only for a short while i would think.

Back