Thread: DSC when did it start

DSC when did it start

somebody here is bound to know, just wondering when the DSC 1 started ? I know DMQ were the originators but when did it start ? Thanks

Depends on what you really mean by DSC.

The BDS formulated a scheme on which DSC is certainly based - and based very heavily. I did the BDS Deer Management course with Dieter Dent in 1984 - many of the elements were already quite well developed at that point - the shooting test was near identical to the current one. Chatting with the likes of Richard Prior and Peter Baillie on that course confirmed this. As an aside, those gentlemen were very clear that they saw it as a way of raising the basic standard of stalkers and not least as an organised way to introduce people to the sport. World domination didnt come up in the conversation An influence was certainly the St Huberts Club scheme.

I'm by no means as certain on the exact development thereafter, but believe BDS took forward and formatted the general question bank as we now know and applied a deer ID assessment that included pelts and antlers in addition to photo's.

The NSCC - National stalkers competency certificate came about and that evolved into the DSC.

Interested parties met at the NSCC stage - including FC, BDS, BASC etc etc and DMQ was formed as a company limited by guarantee and with ownership spread amongst those interested parties. The BDS gifted the examinations to DMQ - and retain copyright if I understand correctly.

And... here we are.

Not claming its a Simon Sharma like definitive history and happy to see others fill in facts/ details.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Thanks for that potted history, you can see that very few things are new. It was only that recently I found my DSC1 certificate, dated Jan 2000 (doesn`t time fly) and I wondered when that particular qualification started.

Not sure when the first DSC course was done but BASC did a pilot scheme/course an introduction to Deer stalking course at Margam wales in 1997 then in march of 1998 their first DSC courses thats what I was informed anyway at Thetford when Mr Peter Watson was their deer officer it was attended by 17 and was a 3 day course which was good but was in its infancy back then plenty of muntjac to practice gralloching on at the FC centre and bring what you run for the shooting test on the sunday
    Certificate N0's were just in the low 600's by then as NSCC were transfered over to the new DSC scheme and so it all started but I could of been informed wrong and I'm sure someone will correct me of the correct year.
    But it was march 1998 when I did mine.
    Too Old Soon Too Late Smart

The DMQ records go back to 1997, although the first official candidates were not recorded untill 1998.

Quote Originally Posted by Peterm View Post
    The DMQ records go back to 1997, although the first official candidates were not recorded untill 1998.
    Thanks for confirming what I was told in 1997/1998 mine and others were carried over to 1998 when we completed the DSC1 as we know it now.
    So when was the first course run?
    Too Old Soon Too Late Smart

My memory fails me at the moment but wasn’t there a scheme called the Woodland Stalker Certificate that predates the DSC 1 and that operated in the early 1980’s. If I remember right some smart arse little twerp copyrighted all the learning materials or set up a company using the Woodland Stalker name and tried to hold everyone to ransom. BASC and one or two other organisations walked away and set up another umbrella organisation and developed the necessary format and took it on from there that resulted in the Deer Stalkers Certificate. Now my recollection may be slightly off but I think I can name the individual involved if I have to. Again a case of someone being greedy and looking to make a fast buck.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Just checked and I have one of the early DSC certificates (single digit certificate number). It's dated January 1998, so must have been then.

Quote Originally Posted by Gratz View Post
    Just checked and I have one of the early DSC certificates (single digit certificate number). It's dated January 1998, so must have been then.
    Mine is dated 1st.January 1998 and my B.D.S. Woodland Stalkers Competence Certificate is dated 24th June 1984 .