Thread: fox predates deer calf

fox predates deer calf

Interesting thing today,
    i had spotted a red calf on it's own yesterday at the edge of one of our woods, it looked to be a late calf and a bit of a piner (jaggy coat) so i decided to grab the rifle and try and get a closer look today.
    Couldnt see it so decided to check a clearing in the wood . On the way through found the calf dead at the base of norway spruce with blood at the throat, on checking ,there were multiple deep bite marks to the throat and also a small (fist size ) bit eaten from the groin ,with some pine needles banked up against the wound.
    Looking at the leaf litter you could see where the calf had been sitting about 30m away beside another tree over an old stone wall and a trail of scuffling and broken branches from there to where i found it from what must have been a fair struggle before it was overcome. There wasnt any hair out of the calf except it's tail was stripped . The fox must have been getting a fair rattling as the calf wasnt as small as i had thought and still in fair flesh. but it just goes to show how opertunistic and effective mr fox can be . The trail cam is set but after being there it may take a day or two get any trade.

some fox ,what weight is the calf have you a trail cam to see if it comes back , maybe it's the perthshire black cat
    a barony original

Foxes attacking calves are more common than I thought a red deer manager in ireland told me a similar story.A German hunting magazine jagd had a article on this subject and the had some interesting photo'sof foxes carrying a dead red calf.Glendine.

Can't see that happening around here with lowland reds. I shot a hind calf yesterday which weighed 93lb larder weight. Take a good few foxes to carry that away at its full weight?
    I'm sure they'd eat it if found dead, but i doubt there would ever be an issue with predation from foxes on any of our larger lowland species.
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Can't see that happening around here with lowland reds. I shot a hind calf yesterday which weighed 93lb larder weight. Take a good few foxes to carry that away at its full weight?I'm sure they'd eat it if found dead, but i doubt there would ever be an issue with predation from foxes on any of our larger lowland species.MS
    I agree 93lb is a bit much for one fox but not enough for three! not suggesting foxes hunt in packs.I was told the kill the calves a few hours after birth the stalk in on them whilst the calf is wondering where the duck the are or what am I doing here!Glendine.

checked trail cam today nothing but fallow buck and snow tripping it , calf carcass untouched so far, estimate wieght of calf 60lb,ish. Camera must be just a bit too obvious or scent too slow to fade away. I'll give it another week and see if it picks anything.
    We regularly get new red calves at fox dens , some are still births , sack and all ,but others have suckled and been either predated or died, a couple were a well grown 2-3weeks or older when killed/died and carried 200yrds through deer and stock fences to a den in a wood.

It could well of been a Badger mind,as the predator was not seen.

Martin

Could it have been a stray dog? If the fox had overcome it cannot see it expending all that energy and not going off with a belly full.

When the snow was on the ground here i came across a pair of foxes and a Muntjac doe in a pheasant pen. I am sure that they were after the doe even though she was fully grown and seemed in good condition. When i went into the pen i closed one door and sprinted to the other, but the foxes ran through it leterally a few metres ahead of me. They knew it was the only way out and the marks in the snow showed how they had been hounding the doe in the opposite corners of the pen. There's no doubt in my mind that they were either trying to exhaust her or hoping she might get tangled in the wire.