Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beaters Day

Beaters Day

How long has beaters day been a tradition ? I was shooting today with a 76 year old and he could remember cocks only days when he was young . The general consensus in the pub afterwards thinks it was after the war ? Any ideas ?

Chill

I hav been on shoot days that are still cocks only days from the first day to the last
    but all through my shooting life
    Feb 1st has always been cocks only, no idea how or why that tradition has arose just it has always been that way

Which war Chris ?

stone can remember all of them

I think beaters days are not only as a thankyou to the beaters, but to reduce the number of cock birds. The hens are then caught up for breeding later in the year.

Simon
    i was talking about a shoot I used to pick up regularly on Hungerford way... Lol
    but most of the cocks you mention hav gone...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Deerstalkermark View Post
    I think beaters days are not only as a thankyou to the beaters, but to reduce the number of cock birds. The hens are then caught up for breeding later in the year.
    Shouldn't the hens be caught up only whilst they are in season?

Beaters' day is a sore topic in this house today!
    My young lad has slaved away every saturday of the season on the local shoot, for mere pocketmoney, and has been really looking forward to the beaters' day shoot. So he turns up this morning for his first ever day of shooting, to find gates locked and no-one about. Got some belated text messages to say it was cancelled.
    One excuse is that there's not enough birds left after yesterday's shoot to make it worthwhile, and the other excuse is that there's not enough guns booked in to make it worthwhile. Two excuses that aren't exactly compatible, to my mind. Basically couldn't be bothered I think. Damned shame, 'cos he was really excited about it.
    You'd have thought that, after all the work the beaters have put in, they could have found something for them to shoot at over a couple of thousand acres!

They've offered a bbq and simulated day later in the year, but it's not the same somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by JC275 View Post
    Shouldn't the hens be caught up only whilst they are in season?
    grow up please
    we are still in season...!!!

Well rich you must have had a good year then !

on another point, I was told a few days ago that a herd of 25/30 fallow were seen quite near your shoot - seen any on the ground ?

Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post
    Beaters' day is a sore topic in this house today!
    My young lad has slaved away every saturday of the season on the local shoot, for mere pocketmoney, and has been really looking forward to the beaters' day shoot. So he turns up this morning for his first ever day of shooting, to find gates locked and no-one about. Got some belated text messages to say it was cancelled.
    One excuse is that there's not enough birds left after yesterday's shoot to make it worthwhile, and the other excuse is that there's not enough guns booked in to make it worthwhile. Two excuses that aren't exactly compatible, to my mind. Basically couldn't be bothered I think. Damned shame, 'cos he was really excited about it.
    You'd have thought that, after all the work the beaters have put in, they could have found something for them to shoot at over a couple of thousand acres!

They've offered a bbq and simulated day later in the year, but it's not the same somehow.
    that is ruff
    new shoot to beat at next year me thinks