Thread: Mobile chiller/freezer

Mobile chiller/freezer

Hi Guys.
    After being successful in obtaining some stalking in the boarders I had to consider what to do with any venison shot. Now I'm not expecting to shoot lots of deer but with two of us there at a time we may get lucky and shoot 4 or 5 animals over a couple days. Now we could take them to a dealer and get 2-20 Kg which would cover the fuel and B+B costs which is OK. Or we could bring them back and butcher them up for friends and family etc which too is ok.
    Now this is where my idea comes in. During the warmer months which could be as early as april on the roe or july on the stags it is likely to be warm, too warm to keep carcasses hanging in the trees for a couple days till we travel home. This would mean having to sell to the dealers.

So I am considering buying a mobile chiller/cutting room. This would be used back home as my cutting room/chiller/freezer or could be towed up to the ground and either left there to store animals in till the end of the trip before taking to dealer or bought back with deer in.
    What I am wondering is there a Hire market out there for others in this situation or people culling deer who don't have a chiller on site and culling for a few days at a time. Or perhaps have ground a good distance from a dealer and have to drive each day to them in warmer weather. Or would like a cutting room to use for a few days if a number of deer have been shot.
    So my question is "Do you think there is any market for this"?
    If so what would you be prepared to pay for the facility?

I'd be interested in your views. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    Hi Guys.
    After being successful in obtaining some stalking in the boarders I had to consider what to do with any venison shot. Now I'm not expecting to shoot lots of deer but with two of us there at a time we may get lucky and shoot 4 or 5 animals over a couple days. Now we could take them to a dealer and get 2-20 Kg which would cover the fuel and B+B costs which is OK. Or we could bring them back and butcher them up for friends and family etc which too is ok.
    Now this is where my idea comes in. During the warmer months which could be as early as april on the roe or july on the stags it is likely to be warm, too warm to keep carcasses hanging in the trees for a couple days till we travel home. This would mean having to sell to the dealers.

So I am considering buying a mobile chiller/cutting room. This would be used back home as my cutting room/chiller/freezer or could be towed up to the ground and either left there to store animals in till the end of the trip before taking to dealer or bought back with deer in.
    What I am wondering is there a Hire market out there for others in this situation or people culling deer who don't have a chiller on site and culling for a few days at a time. Or perhaps have ground a good distance from a dealer and have to drive each day to them in warmer weather. Or would like a cutting room to use for a few days if a number of deer have been shot.
    So my question is "Do you think there is any market for this"?
    If so what would you be prepared to pay for the facility?

I'd be interested in your views. Thanks.
    Be easier to find some one in the local area with a cold store you could pay a few quid to to chill these deer for you
    be cheaper than buying a portable cold store to tow back and forth all the time if you are only shooting a few deer each visit
    but tesco's sell bags of ice that you could drop in the chest cavity whist it is hung in the shade in the trees or take your own ice up
    if you shot 4/5 in the first day then you had a good trip and can come home early instead of possibly ruining meat
    the choice is yours aswell as the expense

Good Idea on the ice stone. Would work fine in spring and autumn. I'll have a look locally and see where I could get some. I admit I'm not to keen on towing something up and down to much so had thought about finding somewhere to park it local, perhaps on a farm. Then bring it back at the end of the season.
    I'll have to start another thread on anyone with cold storage I could use.
    Thanks.

If you are expecting to be shooting both Roe and Sika in numbers then there will be something amiss
    it will be either roe or Sika not both in good numbers
    This way you will know which is the dominant species
    personaly I would try a few visits first to see how you fair before getting into deals on cold storage or buying a cold storage unit
    once you know how the land lies or the amount of deer you will actually expect to take then you can go from there
    sika are not the easiest deer to shoot regardless of how good you think you are

Do you have an electric supply there other than a generator?

just take them to a local game dealer near the shoot and get your money, as trust me you will soon get pissed off with towing a thing like that back and forth to scotland

ATB

Dave

Stone. Two seperate area's of ground. The main one being almost entirely Sika.
    MS. Not unless I can find somewhere to put the thing.
    223. I agree, so had considered finding a base for it up there.
    However your views are begining to confirm my doubts. I feel a trip back to the drawing board.

Unless you have already or intend to register as a "small food buisness" I don't understand the buisness model as just how much venison do you intend to give away to family and freinds?

Once you move from this limited field of non profit dispersal your only real option for receiving payment is the Game Dealer without the registered status mentioned.

Mindful your mobile facilities would thereafter comprise part of the Local Authority assessment of suitability to be granted this status I just can't see a trouble-free and practicable way to then allow use by others whilst ensuring upkeep in full accordance with YOUR hygiene control measures.

Cheers

K