Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ackley.improved 243 ,

ackley.improved 243 ,

hi just what is an ackley improved?. i have a tikka t3 243, i shoot 100 gr if i changed it for an ackley improved what difference does this make?????? in working mans terms please.

There's a brief description here - 243 Win Cartridge Guide within AccurateShooter.com
    I've a 243 Ackley Improved in my Gallery and a picture of the brass. The thing you notice immediately is the hole in your pocket. More seriously, the Russell Gall 243 Ackley is the most accurate rifle I've owned.
    Regards JcS

Thanks JC will have a look does it give me more punch and can you buy ammo of the shelf .

Quote Originally Posted by scotlanddeerstalking View Post
    hi just what is an ackley improved?. i have a tikka t3 243, i shoot 100 gr if i changed it for an ackley improved what difference does this make?????? in working mans terms please.
    In real terms, not much. The .243 AI will increase the velocity by maybe a couple of hundred feet per second. So your bullet will leave the barrel going faster. It will also decellerate faster. And burning more powder in a cartridge which is generally viewed as 'over bore' will simply result in increased erosion in the throat (the section of barrel immediately in front of the chamber).

Of course, the 6mm Remington - the .243 Win's direct competitor - already chucks bullets faster than a .243. But velocity isn't everything, and no deer shot by a .243 or 6mm or .243AI is going to tell the difference.

-JMS

Quote Originally Posted by scotlanddeerstalking View Post
    Thanks JC will have a look does it give me more punch and can you buy ammo of the shelf .
    A slight increase in velocity is possible, but I've not been loading mine with high velocity objectives. In terms of factory ammo, the key feature of any Ackley is that you can use standard factory ammunition in the rifle. I used 243 Win RWS 96gr ammo when I got my rifle. I zeroed it and started stalking roe buck with it. At the same time I started working up some loads. Regards JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 31-01-2013 at 22:35.

In my .243AI i can shoot a 105gr pill at 3150fps
    ina standard .243 you would be looking at 2900-3000fps roughly.

As you can see there is quite a difference. It only really comes into its own at longer ranges! however as the bullet travels faster you have a flatter trajectory which means that if you range the distance wrongly you are less likely to have a complete or miss shot!!! which basically means you are less likely to mess as shot up! which is the most important thing especially if shoot deer!!!!!!

thanks JC AND milldot just having a thaught or two about this, so costings can i get a tikka ai and what about price? also ammo per box.just a rough gide price if you can.thanks david

and jms906 well put out for me lay mans terms thats the one ma ha.

Quote Originally Posted by mildot View Post
    In my .243AI i can shoot a 105gr pill at 3150fps
    ina standard .243 you would be looking at 2900-3000fps roughly.

As you can see there is quite a difference. It only really comes into its own at longer ranges! however as the bullet travels faster you have a flatter trajectory which means that if you range the distance wrongly you are less likely to have a complete or miss shot!!! which basically means you are less likely to mess as shot up! which is the most important thing especially if shoot deer!!!!!!
    Wait a minute. You're getting all these surer kills and flatter trajectory from an average increase of 5% velocity? (You speak of that AI's 3150 fps number as an absolute yet give the standard 243 a range of 100 fps.) Ballistically speaking, velocity will increase at a rate of 1/4 the increase in case capacity if pressures are held to the same level, and if no other variables change. So your 7% increase in case capacity by Improving your 243 should realistically yield about 2% more velocity if held to the same pressures. I don't doubt your results, but without pressure testing, you are flying blind. I am not a huge believer in Ackley Improving hi intensity cartridges. Ackley, FWIW, wasn't either. (With a few special exceptions that don't much apply these days.) That there are fine rifles built in Ackley chamberings is beyond doubt, but that they offer a substantial ballistic improvement is up for debate... JMO of course.~Muir

PS: As was mentioned, the 6mm Remington also can push a 105 at 3150 fps.

And the 6mm rem AI even faster!