Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 270 bullets for Moose

270 bullets for Moose

As the title suggest,s. What would the minimum wieght of bullet siutable for this beast. Also any thoughts on the make and type. I was thinking of Nosler Partitions.
    many thanks, Tusker.

yep and try and go about 150gr, you want solid construction but for their size moose seem to be pretty soft

I don't hunt moose. (I just try to avoid hitting the stupid things when they are standing on the highway) but I would go as above: long, heavy, and well constructed. Last year on one of our "Hunting Channel" shows there was a fellow trying to prove the suitability of the 140 grain / .270 loads for moose. He shot that bull 5 times from 50 yards and it finally just fell over. Disgusting bit of poor shooting (and I believe he was no marksman) followed by a weak voiced exaltation of the load and bullet. My gut instinct would be to go for penetration on something that size.~Muir

SD Regular
    I am in Leicester...so a bit away from Sussex. But I do have two part packs of both the standard, 150 grain Nosler Partition 150 grain and the now discontinued 150 grain Partion Gold. This having even more of the bullet shank back of the partition and, I think, the partion being extra strong.

I think that there are forty of each type. I would be happy to sell BOTH packs but, as you know, would need to be both face-to-face AND I'd have to enter them on your FAC.

I could however bring them to the Shooting Show at Stoneleigh next weeked...

I spend too much time reading this New Zealand based website:

.270 Winchester

I haven't tried them myself but he speaks highly of the 150grain Hornady SST, candle annealed and loaded to 2900fps...

[QUOTE=enfieldspares;517371]....the now discontinued 150 grain Partion Gold. This having even more of the bullet shank back of the partition and, I think, the partion being extra strong.

QUOTE]

The Partition golds are excellent if you can get enough of them.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Many thanks. P.M. sent.
    Tusker
    Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    I am in Leicester...so a bit away from Sussex. But I do have two part packs of both the standard, 150 grain Nosler Partition 150 grain and the now discontinued 150 grain Partion Gold. This having even more of the bullet shank back of the partition and, I think, the partion being extra strong.

I think that there are forty of each type. I would be happy to sell BOTH packs but, as you know, would need to be both face-to-face AND I'd have to enter them on your FAC.

I could however bring them to the Shooting Show at Stoneleigh next weeked...

I don't know what the current production is but Speer used to make the Grand Slam bullet in 150 Grain that I would have thought would be a good choice for larger quarry like Moose. I also wonder about the bonded Fusion bullet?

Speer Grand Slams absolutely rock in the .270 - I bought tons of them for peanuts from Sloane's of Inverurie and use them in 130 & 150gn for pigs, Sika etc. They'd be a great bullet for moose, as they perform much like the Partition.

Quote Originally Posted by tusker View Post
    As the title suggest,s. What would the minimum wieght of bullet siutable for this beast. Also any thoughts on the make and type. I was thinking of Nosler Partitions.
    many thanks, Tusker.
    140gn barnes TSX simples !

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.