Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eagle owl in Inverness

Eagle owl in Inverness

Was in Inverness on business this week. Did get a chance to pop into Graham's - wanted to have a look at their Greys scope they are wonderful and had a good look at an Eagle owl perched on the roof. It's been around for a few days hammering the seagulls. They are truly magnificent birds.

Wild?

There is also a Harris hawk in the town centre complete with a set of jesses. It's got to be the two best looking birds in the town...

Quote Originally Posted by YoungGun View Post
    Wild?
    Estimated to be hundreds now that have breed in the wild and are increasing in numbers

was a good program that covered it a couple of years ago their primary food source are buzzards and smaller owls as they are the nearest competition for food remove them from the equation and they thrive.
    Test were done on pellets and this confirmed what made up more than 50% of their diet.
    Too Old Soon Too Late Smart

They love to eat Hen Harriers too so their arrival at certain grouse moors in the borders and NW England was met with a 'mixed' reaction!

Account Suspended
    http://www.scotsman.com/the-scotsman...arge-1-2764946

"Hey, let's be careful out there" Sgt Phil Esterhaus (Hill Street Blues)

Might get left for dead in a pool of your own blood ...

They must of given the wrong Handshake or were in a different lodge

The bird must of mistaken their syrup figs for a rat.

Fisty cuffs with an owl come on what a disgrace to the tough scottish breed

AOLQ should cover it

I think they first showed up in N. Yorkshire having hopped across the North Sea but I thought there were just the odd pair, I was not aware that there were now "hundreds".

Quote Originally Posted by paul k View Post
    I think they first showed up in N. Yorkshire having hopped across the North Sea but I thought there were just the odd pair, I was not aware that there were now "hundreds".
    Maybe someone else will remember the program a while back the pro bird people quoted they were breeding from birds that had escaped here in the UK no mention of invaders from over seas, there was a huge MOD (wiltshire ? ) site where they were breeding and expanding their range the debate was if they should be allowed to breed and live in the wild or should be stopped promptly, they went back to medieval times and there was no evidence in natural history records that they were ever native here unlike Boar-Deer.

Maybe some more learned poster will have the latest facts.

i'd be interested to find out what the situation is with non native bop i had a harris hawk killing poults on me one year it was bloody good at it too
    a barony original