Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 338

hi can any one tell me
    if i have 338 to buy on my cert dose that cover 338 lapua win mag or dose it have to state 338 lapua win mag on the cert ???
    Last edited by jock; 02-02-2013 at 16:38.

What did you ask for ?
    That said, if it just says .338 then buy what you want as long as it is a .338 of some sort.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    What did you ask for ?
    That said, if it just says .338 then buy what you want as long as it is a .338 of some sort.

Neil.
    i have the chance of a lapua win mag and a guy from the shoot said it had to state 338 win mag on the ticket ?
    i did not think he was right but wanted to check anyway cheers neil

jock

Quote Originally Posted by jock View Post
    i have the chance of a lapua win mag and a guy from the shoot said it had to state 338 win mag on the ticket ?
    i did not think he was right but wanted to check anyway cheers neil

jock
    jock. We don't know. Check with your own Firearms Licensing Department. They're the folk who will get upset. I quite fancy a .338 Fed myself. Regards JCS

This is one of those "the police haven't a clue" moments.

They have, correctly, specified the caliber of the weapon, as the form states they should (never mentions cartridge) so they should not get upset when you buy any weapon that is a .338. Whether they will or not, of course, is more difficult to fathom.

You could ask them, but I often think that is just asking for the opening of several unpleasant cans of worms.

If you buy one, then they will have to prove that wasn't what they issued. Common sense says "if it says .338 on the ticket, and I bought a .338, then what's the issue" and a court would "probably" find that to be the case. That said I'm not aware of any case law/precedent on this.

Are you a member of a shooting organisation? It might be worth approaching them for their viewpoint, as they are likely to have some insight into the behaviour of your local FLD.

great bud i was going along those lines but i might just give basc a call on monday cheers for the replys guys

jock

good advise i had a .243 but had a chance of a 243 ack when i asked the Q My flo said it would have been wrong in his veiws to abtain said rifle ? .243 6mm ? to me it was same pill and case but that degree change on the case neck was not as same chamber speck as a std .243 could't wait for another fac change so i got a std .243

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    jock. We don't know. Check with your own Firearms Licensing Department. They're the folk who will get upset. I quite fancy a .338 Fed myself. Regards JCS

Quote Originally Posted by paul o' View Post
    good advise i had a .243 but had a chance of a 243 ack when i asked the Q My flo said it would have been wrong in his veiws to abtain said rifle ? .243 6mm ? to me it was same pill and case but that degree change on the case neck was not as same chamber speck as a std .243 could't wait for another fac change so i got a std .243
    I think your FEO was wrong, .243 is .243, AI would make no difference, and you would still be able to fire normal .243 rounds.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    I think your FEO was wrong, .243 is .243, AI would make no difference, and you would still be able to fire normal .243 rounds.

Neil.
    hmm should have pushed a bit more back then but still happy with std and foxy says ouch whats your flo's name mine is dave
    Last edited by paul o'; 02-02-2013 at 20:47.

Quote Originally Posted by jock View Post
    hi can any one tell me
    if i have 338 to buy on my cert dose that cover 338 lapua win mag or dose it have to state 338 lapua win mag on the cert ???
    Make sure you clear up the terminology before you speak to the feo. To my knowledge there's no such thing as a 338 lapua win mag - there is a 338 lapua OR a 338 win mag but they are quite different. The lapua is used by military snipers to shoot insurgents at a mile or twos distance. The 338 wind bag is a lot milder and uses a necked up 7mm RM - ie shortened 300 win mag / 375 H&H. 338 lapua for deer would be a formidable round, the win mag or federal would be a bit easier on the shoulder!