The right decision in the end.

I was up nice and early this morn, dogs woke me up so I decided to have a cuppa and looked out of the kitchen window "it was snowing" should I or shouldn't I.
Bugger it, got my rifle and gear together, made my flask up, then went to put everything into the truck only to find the canopy lock frozen solid. I threw a cup of warm water onto the lock "result". Then off I set for the half an hour drive or so. I pulled into the farm drive way and immediately saw three roe running through a small wood "good start" at least there are deer moving. I parked the truck up got my sticks, rifle but I had left my binoculars on the kitchen bench b*****d.
I made for a high seat on the edge of a small wood overlooking a large field, I climbed up after checking it for damage etc and got myself comfortable.
I sat and watched two cock pheasants and a few partridge feeding but no deer showed themselves. After about an hour I decided to climb down and have a look about on foot, it was freezing sitting high up there anyway. I turned to pick my sticks up only to see a Doe with two followers come from out of a small plantation, I slowly bent down and made for a small stone wall and placed my rifle on to my hat so I didn't scratch it on the stone, I looked through the scope and decided if one was a Doe I would take the shot, the first one following the Doe looked like a buck but the second one turned and I could see it was a young doe so I took the shot and down it went. "Result". I did the cralloch and made back to my truck only to find the lock had frozen up again, my hot tea came in handy to release the lock. I made my way back home seeing another six roe feeding on the sunny side of a wood but I decided one was enough and they would be there for another stalk, my freezer is now full.

Image0028.jpg
The frozen truck

Image0027.jpg
The young Doe

Atb John.

well done nice write up, i see you still have plenty of snow up there, you get sorted with a calibre or you still wanting to try a .308

Spoony mate,I've just got the papers through for my renewal .I'll try your .308 if the offer is still there.
Atb John.

Job sorted Brithunter,I think i need some sort of cover to keep the ***** etc from fouling the lock.
Atb John.

Back