Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Releasing Brown rats (norway rats)

Releasing Brown rats (norway rats)

OK you pest control experts out there, please see if you can help me on this one. I got called to a rat job on a housing estate where there was a substantial infestation of rats in the garden of a private house,which were spreading onto a number gardens. The housholder was feeding birds and there was also a healthy population of grey squirells. The lady of the house told me they were catching rats in a live catch trap and releasing them away from their property. (My passing comment was that it was illegal to do that.) The next day there was a request from the son of the householder a guy in his forties for a freedom of information request as to where the legislation is that states it is illegal to re release rats.
    I have 4 ways of bringing about a prosecution, if I can prove they are releasing and where, but has anybody heard of this before and does any body have knowledge of wording in legislation which I can use.Wf1

pests act 1954

Prevention of damage by pest 1948 too

(1)It shall be the duty of every local authority to take such steps as may be necessary to secure so far as practicable that their district is kept free from rats and mice, and in particular—
    (a)from time to time to carry out such inspections as may be necessary for the purpose aforesaid;
    (b)to destroy rats and mice on land of which they are the occupier and otherwise to keep such land so far as practicable free from rats and mice;
    (c)to enforce the duties of owners and occupiers of land under the following provisions of this Part of this Act, and to carry out such operations as are authorised by those provisions.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by wildfowler1 View Post
    OK you pest control experts out there, please see if you can help me on this one. I got called to a rat job on a housing estate where there was a substantial infestation of rats in the garden of a private house,which were spreading onto a number gardens. The housholder was feeding birds and there was also a healthy population of grey squirells. The lady of the house told me they were catching rats in a live catch trap and releasing them away from their property. (My passing comment was that it was illegal to do that.) The next day there was a request from the son of the householder a guy in his forties for a freedom of information request as to where the legislation is that states it is illegal to re release rats.
    I have 4 ways of bringing about a prosecution, if I can prove they are releasing and where, but has anybody heard of this before and does any body have knowledge of wording in legislation which I can use.Wf1
    I wouldn't work on the past with the releasing saga, providing a food source to increase rodent activity is justification to instruct the landowner albiet the people who live there or a landlord to reduce the rat activity to a normal level.

You have grounds to insist they undertake a removal programme using mechanical means only, no live catch or rodenticide. using a suitable qualified pest controller with the traps being for the humane reduction of rats only, ensuring the traps cannot be accessed by squirrels, hedgehogs or any other secondary animals.
    the key is not put any other animals other than the target species at risk, correct justification on removal. firstly they won't wish to relocate a carcase and make them pay for it. perhaps they will have bit more consideration for their neighbours as well as the people they have introduced rats to their property.

if your an authority, you wouldn't normally get involved in obtaining a pestie for domestic work, what you can do is to ask them to give you his contact number on the treatment starting and contact him direct to advise you on treatment development catch rate etc on a every visit basis, that will filter back and get the desired effect.
    Last edited by philip; 02-02-2013 at 20:47.

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    pests act 1954

Prevention of damage by pest 1948 too

(1)It shall be the duty of every local authority to take such steps as may be necessary to secure so far as practicable that their district is kept free from rats and mice, and in particular—
    (a)from time to time to carry out such inspections as may be necessary for the purpose aforesaid;
    (b)to destroy rats and mice on land of which they are the occupier and otherwise to keep such land so far as practicable free from rats and mice;
    (c)to enforce the duties of owners and occupiers of land under the following provisions of this Part of this Act, and to carry out such operations as are authorised by those provisions.
    Thanks limulus, I am aware of the PDA and use it a lot. My problem is where does it say anywhere it is illegal to relase a brown rat alive from a trap into a different area.Wf1

The key legislation controlling the release (and escape) of non-native species in Britain is section 14 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act, 1981. See here... Non-native species Defra

The Brown Rat is definitely classified non-native, see here: Brown Rat, Rattus norvegicus - GB non-native species secretariat

Ain't Google a wonderful thing?

Quote Originally Posted by philip View Post
    I wouldn't work on the past with the releasing saga, providing a food source to increase rodent activity is justification to instruct the landowner albiet the people who live there or a landlord to reduce the rat activity to a normal level.

You have grounds to insist they undertake a removal programme using mechanical means only, no live catch or rodenticide. using a suitable qualified pest controller with the traps being for the humane reduction of rats only, ensuring the traps cannot be accessed by squirrels, hedgehogs or any other secondary animals.
    the key is not put any other animals other than the target species at risk, correct justification on removal. firstly they won't wish to relocate a carcase and make them pay for it. perhaps they will have bit more consideration for their neighbours as well as the people they have introduced rats to their property
    Philip thanks, the point is I have to justify what I have said about re releasing rats,via the freedom of information act which has been sent to me. As I have posted I can find 4 lots of legislation in my armoury to prosecute them.
    I am a Public Health Pest Control Officer employed by a Council. Basically I am dealing with a real smart arse.Wf1

I'm not sure if it is illegal to release a brown rat from a trap back into it's immediate environment because it is a naturalised species like fallow even though it is classed as vermin, bit like rabbits, mice, roaches etc

But! Deliberately introducing a vermin species into an area where you do not have the land owners permission can't be legal, I would imagine there may be case law on this somewhere.

Hi WF1

There is only one way, catch em at it

hearsay is a wonderful thing until it goes to court.

That really is a bag of worms, if you want to nail this guy, try a stealth camera on some traps,get some daily visits and traps set up, get some evidence, if the guy knows its there, catch rate will rocket, job done, or you have bona fide evidence -- bingo

Good luck with that one

atb

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    I'm not sure if it is illegal to release a brown rat from a trap back into it's immediate environment because it is a naturalised species like fallow even though it is classed as vermin, bit like rabbits, mice, roaches etc

But! Deliberately introducing a vermin species into an area where you do not have the land owners permission can't be legal, I would imagine there may be case law on this somewhere.
    Thanks Paul at Barony .We are on the same wavelength.I can prosecute under the Cruelty to animals act.for releasing into a different area. Also Public health act, possibly Anti social behaviour.Wf1

If it were black rat, you'd be home and dry as it comes under section 14 of the wildlife and countryside act 1981, as it is one of the named species in schedule 9.

I'm not aware of any legislation that specifically creates an offence of releasing brown rats.