Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .308 Moderator

Question .308 Moderator

Hi,

Want to know if by putting a sound moderator on my rifle how much will this effect the point of aim?

Cheers Rhys

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhyshumphrey123 View Post
    Hi,

Want to know if by putting a sound moderator on my rifle how much will this effect the point of aim?

Cheers Rhys
    you will only find that out by doing so. there is no way on earth that i or anyone else will be able to tell you an answer rhys.

as a bit of fun for you hows this,

17 hmr no mod zero, fit mode did not move poi,

20 tac, no mod zero, fit jet z it moved the poi,

.243 no mode zero, fitted my old t8 moved poi, fitted the new sl5 same poi,

each rifle and mod will act in there own way

best of luck

regards

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Bobs not wrong..

Go with a Jet Z, youll not look back..

Go with a T8 and sooner or later youll buy a Jet Z..

Better put an intro up in the right section bud

Atb

Terry
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Quote Originally Posted by rhyshumphrey123 View Post
    Hi,

Cheers Rhys
    As Bob says - no way of knowing until you try , no apparent rhyme or reason to it , some obvious factors come into play - the additional weight of a moderator might make your previously free floating barrel touch the fore end , again, moderator weightmay affect harmonics of the barrel - especially if its a light weight sporter barrel - a shorter thicker tube should be less affected , but bottom line is no way of knowing .
    My pick of current mods are the ASE's - Utra and NORTHSTAR - bit more weight than some but stainless (and foregive the pun ) 'bulletproof'

Quote Originally Posted by wivenhoe65 View Post
    ...My pick of current mods are the ASE's - Utra and NORTHSTAR - bit more weight than some but stainless ...
    +1. I like the AU-SL5. Regards JCS

Opinions like a certain orifice are possessed by all, so just to throw another into the pot:

I have had a few mods on my 308s and really like the Roedale Delta (you can have 4, 5 or 6 baffles), I use five. not as quiet as some of the bigger heavier mods, but really light and I am really pleased with it (just put one on my .243 as well). As it is light weight alloy it is good for stalking and normal shooting, Roedale do a heavier stainless one if you intend to put loads of ammo through it. My mate has just got a Jet Z, very similar in size but a lot heavier and he really likes it.

Regarding the point of aim, they guys above are spot on, some say that a mod should not affect the point of aim, although that is not my experience.

Cheers
    JP

More often than not a mod will shift your point of impact and as already stated, by how much is unique to each individual. My USE Ultra Northstar had little to no effect on the POI of my varmint barrel 85 however.

I just brought a One Less Charlie custom made moderator for my .308, hopefully going to be able to get down the range friday and get it sorted.

I look forward to seeing your new moderator Rhys, you're the second club member who has bought one of these in the last couple of weeks. As the other guys have said before you will only know if it will change your point of impact when you actually try it. I have a wildcat moderator which I use on both my Sako 85varmint .308 rifle and on my .223 Browning A-Bolt. There is no discernable change with and without the moderator fitted on the Sako but a marked difference with the A-Bolt which only has a light weight sporting barrel.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Yeh cant wait to get back down monmouth and put a few rounds through her! Hopefully will be down friday night!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moddy.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	24490