Electronic scales

NorthDorset

I have found a set of electronic scales measuring in Grains increasingly useful. Bullet heads, check loads etc.

Then I had to give them back to the mate that lent them to me! I went on evil/fleabay and purchased a set that looked similar. Wrong! Seller replaced but no good. Then bought another but without a calibration weight. Just not consistant. None of these more than £10 a throw.

My mates were Frankford Arsenal branded that he picked up in the States for a few bucks.

So without spending a fortune can anyone recommend me a good electronic scales, in Grains that is reliable?

Cheers!

I have found a set of electronic scales measuring in Grains increasingly useful. Bullet heads, check loads etc.

Then I had to give them back to the mate that lent them to me! I went on evil/fleabay and purchased a set that looked similar. Wrong! Seller replaced but no good. Then bought another but without a calibration weight. Just not consistant. None of these more than £10 a throw.

My mates were Frankford Arsenal branded that he picked up in the States for a few bucks.

So without spending a fortune can anyone recommend me a good electronic scales, in Grains that is reliable?

Cheers!

None! Although I am sure there are some good ones out there if you are prepared to spend £3/400!
I bought some Hornady electronic scales and they were absolutely useless so stick with my RCBS scales which are far more accurate, don't need batteries and haven't any electronics to go wrong.

Unfortunately no! Cheap, digital, reliable is a combination that's hard to find. I have a cheap digital (also have a proper one) but I always weigh powder with a beam scale.
This is the cheap digital I use to weigh bullets - It has a resolution of .02grains or .001gram
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-001g-20..._Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item4845608881

None! Although I am sure there are some good ones out there if you are prepared to spend £3/400!
I bought some Hornady electronic scales and they were absolutely useless so stick with my RCBS scales which are far more accurate, don't need batteries and haven't any electronics to go wrong.

I agree! None. I had a Frankford Arsenal that quit after two uses just rough weighing bullets. Get a beam scale and use it. More accurate,and it will still work when the power goes out.~Muir.

I've had two fleabay specials for a few years now & not had any problems with either, a Jennings JS-275V (275g x 0.1g capacity) & a Tomopol p50 (50g x 0.01g capacity) both do grammes, grains & other modes too.
I use them for quick weight checks & occasionally cross check a weighing with my beam scales which are much slower to use.

Ian

Had some 'cheapo' rinkydink scales from ebay and they were surprisingly accurate and would hold the calibration setting quite well.
Gave em to a member here after acquiring an analytical balance. (I have a lab set of calibration weights) Generally just use my
Ohaus dial-a-grain beam balance and keep a check on it with the electronic scales every now and then!

One thing to note (for the cheapos and any other electric scales) is that they work better without batteries, a quality regulated power supply makes the difference.

Last edited:
I use an RCBS 304 beam scale. And before that (some thirty years ago) an RCBS 5-0-5 beam scale. Both are/were as accurate as the other except that for ease of use I prefer the dial of the 304.

It's your money, spend it as you will, but a beam scale works and doesn't rely on batteries. So as "it ain't broke" I'm sticking with my beam scale. The only one I would NOT recommend is the awful Lee Beam Scale.

I have an RCBS beam scale, but also the RCBS Rangemaster 750 electronic scale. I find I use the electronic scale more than the beam scale. When using the electronic scale you do need to calibrate every time you use it, but once done it's very quick and easy to use.

I have a set of hornady scales
would prefer a 0.01 gr minimum but I find that if you weigh multiple times quickly you can weasel out the irregular readings

IMPO, nothing better than a Lee beam scale, at least you can prove every weight correct.

Simples! no wondering about any possible variables.

I have used various digital scales over the years from Pact, RCBS (the same) and Lyman, they have all given up the ghost so i am glad i have my RCBS 10-10, i use these exclusively now and would not buy another set of digital scales, although i do hanker after an Ohaus Dial-O-grain and Muir, yes i know you have one before you remind me again:D

Ian.

Back