Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacing a sound moderator

Replacing a sound moderator

My T8 is about knackered and I am going to replace it.

Do I have to apply for a variation to have the T8 removed from my certificate and have the new one added?

Or can I buy the new one from a RFD and have him destroy the old one and inform the police of this.

On my FAC the sound moderator is entered as makers name UNKNOWN.

Thanks for any advice.

Legally speaking you have to dispose of your nackered one, then apply for a new slot to buy your new one.
    in practice I believe some rfds might replace your mod and turn a blind eye to the paperwork etc.

Quote Originally Posted by iainfarthing View Post
    If there's no visible marking (NVM) ie serial number or manufacturer, and your FAC states this, any RFD I know will swap out on a 1:1 basis and will then deal with the old mod...

Cheers
    i.
    My FAC states Makers name UNKNOWN and ID Number NVM so I should be able to just swap it on a 1:1 basis then.

Thanks

I always thought a moderator for a particular cal. Was the same as a rifle regards slots on your licence, if you "sell" your knackered one to your RFD then you have a slot for a new one. Just inform your FEO within 7 days - 1 sold 1 bought
    No issues
    Wingy

Quote Originally Posted by Wingy View Post
    I always thought a moderator for a particular cal. Was the same as a rifle regards slots on your licence, if you "sell" your knackered one to your RFD then you have a slot for a new one. Just inform your FEO within 7 days - 1 sold 1 bought
    No issues
    Wingy
    Is this correct?
    i was told that if you sell a rifle to an rfd in order to buy a replacement you must send in your fac and do a 1 for 1 variation to free the slot up.
    i was also told that legally this is the situation with mods (although its not always like that in practice).

Quote Originally Posted by foxhunter View Post

Do I have to apply for a variation to have the T8 removed from my certificate and have the new one added?

Or can I buy the new one from a RFD and have him destroy the old one and inform the police of this.

Thanks for any advice.
    Hi,
    Don't forget that Jackson Rifles T8 is covered by a limited lifetime warranty (if your mod is over 2yrs old).

Quote Originally Posted by foxhunter View Post

Thanks for any advice.
    Yes you do. Lack of serial numbers temp dealers and fac holders to fiddle but its highly illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by BASC Firearms Dept View Post
    Yes you do. Lack of serial numbers temp dealers and fac holders to fiddle but its highly illegal.
    Illegal under which bit of legislation?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    Illegal under which bit of legislation?
    At a guess. The firearms act!

If you really think it is legal to swap items on your FAC just because they don't have a serial number, then give your local police dept a phone call and ask them to clarify it for you!

Quote Originally Posted by rarms View Post
    At a guess. The firearms act!

If you really think it is legal to swap items on your FAC just because they don't have a serial number, then give your local police dept a phone call and ask them to clarify it for you!
    They'd be the last people I'd ask. Nor would the Home Office be well-placed to give an answer, since like the police they'd like everything to be controlled as much as possible. Having said that I'm not about to swap a moderator, so this concerns a hypothesis about what the law means, rather than advice to someone who is in need of a new mod.

There are those who believe that a moderator that is not an 'accessory to a S1 firearm' is not subject to FAC control.
    They might also believe that a moderator is not an 'accessory to' a S1 rifle unless it is attached to one.
    If would then follow that a moderator not attached to a S1 rifle is not subject to FAC control: and futhermore this could be true notwithstanding guidance from Police and Home Office that moderators able to withstand fullbore pressures should not be sold to folk who don't have FAC-authority to use them.

Last edited by Dalua; 03-02-2013 at 21:11.