Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open / closed?

Open / closed?

Sorry to be posting the same question as is asked so often, but I couldn't find an answer in the FAQ at the top of the page.

My first FAC, for .22LR, included the words "...may be used on land deemed suitable by the Chief Officer of Police for the area where the land is situated, and where the holder has permission...etc etc..".
    No query there. Clearly closed.

When I had it opened it was changed to simply read: "..may be used on land where the holder has permission...etc etc"
    No query there either. Clearly open.

Now, I've just had my certificate back after variation for .243, and the conditions for the .243 reads: "...may be used on land deemed suitable for the use of this type of firearm, and where the holder has permission..etc etc.."

No mention of the Chief Officer of Police. So, is that open or closed?

Maybe the BASC team can give a definitive answer? (I am a member )

I would treat it as open, although to me it looks like a clerical error and a hybrid between the two conditions.

No mention of cheif constable so you can make the decision whether the land is "suitable for the use of this type of firearm"

Rock the boat and you may find it closed!

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

I would say that is open,as "you" could "deem it suitable"..............

Well, that's the way I read it, but it seemed a little bit too good to be true!
    My first centrefire, and I get open conditions for foxes, deer and feral goats!!!!!

That sort of thing doesn't happen, does it?

It did to me

Open ticket from the off, and any legal quarry.

Enjoy the PH by the way.

VSS- my ticket reads the same, deemed suitable, and I had had an open previously with dyfed powys, and was told by North Wales it was open as no mention of the chief!

ENJOY!
    Last edited by stalker.308; 03-02-2013 at 17:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake Aboot View Post

Enjoy the PH by the way.
    Thanks mate, I will!
    Just saving up for a mod now.
    It was enough of a shock when the missus said she'd buy me the rifle for xmas, but I think asking for a mod for my birthday might be pushing things a bit far!!!

sounds like its open to me to,
    good luck

Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post
    Sorry to be posting the same question as is asked so often, but I couldn't find an answer in the FAQ at the top of the page.

My first FAC, for .22LR, included the words "...may be used on land deemed suitable by the Chief Officer of Police for the area where the land is situated, and where the holder has permission...etc etc..".
    No query there. Clearly closed.

When I had it opened it was changed to simply read: "..may be used on land where the holder has permission...etc etc"
    No query there either. Clearly open.

Now, I've just had my certificate back after variation for .243, and the conditions for the .243 reads: "...may be used on land deemed suitable for the use of this type of firearm, and where the holder has permission..etc etc.."

No mention of the Chief Officer of Police. So, is that open or closed?

Maybe the BASC team can give a definitive answer? (I am a member )
    sounds like a dodgy draft, with the absence of "who" deems it suitable its arguable. You could take the view that its open but the police could argue its closed. It needs attending to by the licensing dept one way or another.

i say this as its the police with the upper hand and who will summons you to court. If your .243 is the latest and highest calibre then it is likely their intention was to leave it closed as this is the standard (but pointless) practice.

One of the stipulations about conditions is that they have to be clear. If the condition doesn't clearly state what it is forbidding, then how can you be "in breach of" it?

"I deem it to be suitable for this calibre, therefore it is deemed to be suitable". Any other interpretation is going to be an exceedingly hard sell!