Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often does THIS happen?

How often does THIS happen?

A few questions for all you ammo experts out there....
    Took the .243 rifle for a walk yesterday and put a few federal factory rounds (100gr Sierra Gameking BTSP) through to practise/check zero and when I came to pick up empties I noticed this cartridge had split quite badly.....how often does this happen? what causes it and can it affect the accuracy of the bullet?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5855.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	24358
    I also noticed a difference in bullet seating depth between two batches of ammo. Is this common?

Name:	IMG_5857.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	24359

Cheers

I always use Federal brass to reload for my .243. I have loaded many hundreds, perhaps several thousand rounds but have never had a case split so far. In the past I used Federal 100gr factory ammo without a split.
    Cannot help with variation in seating depth with factory ammo.

Just happend to notice this with my factory ammo the other day. It was 55gr 222 sako game head and there was a fair difference that was easily noticeable by the eye. Ddnt seen to make much difference as they were all spot on a 100 yards.

Probably the brass is brittle because it hasn't been annealed properly.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo8 View Post
    A few questions for all you ammo experts out there....
    Took the .243 rifle for a walk yesterday and put a few federal factory rounds (100gr Sierra Gameking BTSP) through to practise/check zero and when I came to pick up empties I noticed this cartridge had split quite badly.....how often does this happen? what causes it and can it affect the accuracy of the bullet?

Name:	IMG_5855.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	24358
    I also noticed a difference in bullet seating depth between two batches of ammo. Is this common?

Name:	IMG_5857.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	24359

Cheers
    I've got hundreds of cases like that,mainly remy,25-06 and 30-06 eats the cases,some split around the other way too just up from the rim

looking at the picture the soft points look too blunt any chance they have been dropped or have they just been from mag to chamber a lot !

Quote Originally Posted by ruby tuesday View Post
    looking at the picture the soft points look too blunt any chance they have been dropped or have they just been from mag to chamber a lot !
    They look normal to me.

They all look like that straight out of the box. The tips probably look worse in the zoomed in picture than they do in real life but I remember being offered a box of winchester .243 ammo in a gunshop once and found that the tips were all p1ssed as hell.... I didn't buy them purely because they looked wrong. These federal rounds seem to be more accurate in my rifle than any other factory ammo I have tested and the bullet seating depth doesn't seem to make any difference to zero or accuracy.
    Thanks for your replies chaps

Simple, 'hard' necks for a multitude of reasons.

It's possible for seating depths to change under recoil if the cartridge has been in the magazine a time or two while other rounds have been fired. I'm not saying that's happened in this particular case, but recoil can certainly generate seating depth changes that may interfere with accuracy and pressure......even under certain conditions affecting pressure in a dangerous way.
    ATB
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!