Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog Did Well, But Lost Deer...

Dog Did Well, But Lost Deer...

I got a call from a friend yesterday morning saying that he had hit a young roe doe and she had been lost. By the time I got to where they were it was 3.5hrs after the shot had been taken. She had been standing in a gamecrop and after the shot several deer broke out. As she had been lost in the crop, he waited and after 3 or 4 mins she appeared on the outside of the fence and looked to be stumbling. he took a rushed shot at her and missed before she was lost to sight.

For anyone interested the following is the track my 14month old HS did with the photos which tell the story. Up until now she has never been trained on blood (but has had 3 proper tracks on shot deer, rest all training tracks) and always tracks on the collar and lead.

These first 3 pictures are the blood found at the shot site but we could find no hair. It was quite windy which did not help. They are in sequence in the direction she walked off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	track1.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	157.4 KB 
ID:	24381Click image for larger version. 

Name:	track2.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	163.6 KB 
ID:	24382Click image for larger version. 

Name:	track3.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	161.7 KB 
ID:	24383

The dog picked them up right away and was showing her find. She then tracked through the gamecrop to the front, and where the doe had appeared before being missed with the second shot. She was put through the fence and onto a blood spot on the outside. The images were taken today and the dog is only in them to show some scale, hence some are a bit blurred as she was playing today.

Name:	track4.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	24384 This is the point she picked up the track outside the gamecrop.

Name:	track5.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	143.7 KB 
ID:	24385Track followed about 30m to the first fence...

Name:	track6.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	24386She has then gone through the fence and made her way across an open grass field, I could see no blood along here.

Name:	track7.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	135.2 KB 
ID:	24387At this gate she did exactly what you see her doing here again, although there was still no vlood on the gate or under it.

Name:	track8.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	161.2 KB 
ID:	24388We go through the gate and down this steep slop, plenty of sign of deer on runs in this area...

Name:	track9.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	24389And then we come to the first real test for her, a stream. She stopped here and went 10m to the right, then back to me and another 4m or so to the left before coming back to me again and looking across with her nose up trying to catch a scent. She was wary about jumping over but a wee bit encouragement saw her carry on. On the other side on a rock we found this blood spot...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails track10.jpg  
    Last edited by jamross65; 03-02-2013 at 23:21.

Cont...

Name:	track12.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	24405It can be seen right in the middle of the stone, not the water splashes around it...

Attachment 24406She picks up the track without any problem on the other side and continues up this steep bank...

Name:	track14.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	24408At the top she indicates another couple of blood spots...

Name:	track15.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	24407...and then carries on along the track. We are about 400m from the shot site at this point...

Name:	track16.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	24409This picture shows the cover we were going through and it was hard work...

Name:	track17.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	24410First blood seen for 200m...

Name:	track18.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	24411...and another patch...

Name:	track19.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	24412

Name:	track20.jpg 
Size:	159.0 KB 
ID:	24413...we then come to the second valley we have to drop into, about 700m from shot site...

Name:	track21.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	136.9 KB 
ID:	24414...and at the bottom her second water obstacle. She never hesitated here and in fact put her nose to the surface of the stream to smell it. I did not know how close we were to the beast as the last spots of blood in the photos were the last we saw at all on the track...

Name:	track22.jpg 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	24415...up the steep slope on the other side which was almost impossible to climb because of the steepness and wet mud which gave way underfoot. This whole area is covered in deer runs...

Name:	track23.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	158.7 KB 
ID:	24416...continuing up we get to the mature wood on the top.

Name:	track24.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	24417...at this point she suddenly picks up a lot of speed, almost running and just as she does so I look to my right and about 30m through the trees I see a small doe sneaking back in the direction I came from before loosing it to sight in the thicker trees. It was obvious the animal was not walking properly but I could see no obvious sign of where she had been hit. The dog is without doubt on its track and I made the decision that because of the dogs reaction and how excited she was, to let her of the collar in the hope she would give chase. And that was when I realised it was a mistake. She looked at me and began to play. She is completely switched on to collar on means work, collar off means play. I tried to encourage her forward but she just looked at me with a look that said, '...but we are surely finished...?' I put her back on the collar but she did not want to seem to switch back onto the track. We had probably covered between 800m+ by now and it was almost an hour after starting. The terrain and cover really slowed things down.

It was a mix of feelings over it because I thought she had done so well especially with the streams, but now as a young inexperienced dog she was faltering. However, that was my fault...

In summary, the blood lasted about half the track but very sporadic. In my mind that shows the importance of training to follow foot scent only. She has been trained crossing water and took it in her stride on the second obstacle. She has never been on a 'live' deer needing her to do more than sniff them, although I am sure when she does it will be another switch going on in her head.

The outcome was a return today for another look and to put her back on where she left off. She did seem to pick up a track but I honestly think it was other deer that have been over it during the night.

After discussing with friends we think the doe has been hit high leg or brisket. The only up side is that this is a fairly compact area of stalking my friend has and if she survives it will be likely she will be seen again. There will be a determined effort to tray and find her over the next couple of days...
    Last edited by jamross65; 03-02-2013 at 23:05.

Well done both of you... No success this time but valuable experience for the two of you all part of the very steep ( well it is for me anyway!) learning curve that is training hounds!

Kind regards, Jez
    slowly slowly catch a monkey..

Quote Originally Posted by straightbetweentheeyes View Post
    Well done both of you... No success this time but valuable experience for the two of you all part of the very steep ( well it is for me anyway!) learning curve that is training hounds!

Kind regards, Jez
    Thanks Jez

Have the photos in the second bit come out? They are appearing as attachments only on my PC because I was timed out and had to cut and paste them back on?

And I always thought these dedicated deer dogs were infalible, only joking well done for a young dog, and you tried
    thats all anyone can ask.

A good honest thread jamross.
    I didnt realise the conditioning became that engrained that the dog would switch off on what had become a hot scent.
    I have a gwp that can be called off a scent (ie if its heading towards a road or similar) but he would be very reluctant to leave it and would be back onto it in a flash if told to carry on.
    I dont use a collar only voice commands and hand signals if trailing a deer.
    I agree with you on where the bullet hit ,and hopefully your friend will catch up with it asap.
    sinbad
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

Nope can't view attachments on second post!
    slowly slowly catch a monkey..

get your self a lab lol

Neither can I on the attachments. Great right up on the track and its a shame not to end on a winner. I got a couple of questions, when you saw the doe had the dog sighted it? Have you tried schooling in free tracking (no collar or line)? Have you trained getting the dog on a moving skin/dummy deer as the reward at the end of a track to simulate a running deer?

Quote Originally Posted by sinbad View Post
    A good honest thread jamross.
    I didnt realise the conditioning became that engrained that the dog would switch off on what had become a hot scent.
    I have a gwp that can be called off a scent (ie if its heading towards a road or similar) but he would be very reluctant to leave it and would be back onto it in a flash if told to carry on.
    I dont use a collar only voice commands and hand signals if trailing a deer.
    I agree with you on where the bullet hit ,and hopefully your friend will catch up with it asap.
    sinbad
    Not on an experienced dog sinbad. George's labs would have been after that in a flash and had it. Whisky would not know what a chase is just now. Still learning.

Can I just ask, if not using a collar how would you know if unable to keep up with the dog through heavy cover if he finds and indicates something?

Jez, I will try and put the rest of the photos up tomorrow, Some good ones.

BT, the dog never failed, it was the handler for misreading what it would do!!!