Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What velocites - 7mm-08

What velocites - 7mm-08

I currently have a Scout in 7mm-08. And it's poorly. So choices are fix it or replace it. Now, one of the issues has been with it that with its very short barrel (16" of rifled section) it suffers from a significant drop in velocity on my home loads. It's fine for woodland, high seat stuff, but on our rather open sections it's a rifle I'd not rely on for longer shots. That's just the way it is. I'm not going to aim over anything.

So, I may go with option 2 and replace it with a 'normal' rifle. Thing is that looking in the loading tables, 7mm-08 doesn't seem to be particularly speedy. In fact not much more than a .308 std. I realise that where it scores is in the ballistic coefficient. So realistically (and proven please folks not guessing) what sort of velocity do you get and, out of what barrel length with a 139 /140 grain bullet. I like this size ad have boxes and boxes and boxes of them So please don't suggest something else. Until I joined this forum, I'd never met another person with this cartridge. Stupidly I have a .308 as well, so the 7mm has to be different in some way or it's just taking up space in one of my 5 cabinets It is a shame because love em or hate em, the scout is a great little rife to carry about. I have always said that a rifle is only a stick until you need it. And until that time it's a pain to lug about. The Scout is a very small stick.

Ta very much. The life of my scout rests in your hands.

Chris

Paddy (DanP here) is currently build me one on his very nice Dane and co Borden actions and for 140 and up but keeping the barrel as short as possible I was advised to not go below 20" with a 1 in 8 twist. Velocity couldn't tell you yet obviously but if your thinking of a custom or semi custom its worth dropping him a PM for a chat. Very helpful guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
    I currently have a Scout in 7mm-08. And it's poorly. So choices are fix it or replace it......
    Chris. I looked at these a lot when they appeared, but never bought one. I did buy a Mannlicher Pro-Hunter. I am sure the Scout was dear to buy and I think it will be dear to fix, so I would get rid of it. Regards JCS

Keep it as a woods rifle and get a 7mmRem Mag for the longer range stuff.

Guys

Not having a custom rifle. Just what's on the shelf. I just cant see the point. It's a tool. I pull the trigger and a bullet comes out of the end. As long as it's in a 2 pence piece at 100 yards it's plenty good enough.

JCS Not as dear as a new rifle - I do know. But the point is that this is a thread about velocities. If it were only £5.63 to fix, I'd still get the same velocity at the muzzle. Which are less than a .308, hence the thread.

Velocities anyone?

Chris

EDIT Tom, already got a 7mm rem mag thanks. I did say the Scout was poorly. Angle grinder or fix. Just keeping it isn't an option.

Sierra GK 140gr
    2826fps
    Standard M595 Tikka
    Hope that helps
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

That's what I'm after mate.

Cheers.

C

6.5x55mm
    Hornady 140gr SSTs
    2,660fps
    Sako 75

Ok, so not 7mm-08, but it's always an option for all UK quarry if you're going to look around after binning the Scout

Cheers
    i.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Ian. Not currently looking for a change. I have 12 rifles already - one of which is the 7. It's not that I want to re create the ballistics of the 7-08 in something else, I just want to get the ballistics that I should get from it. And the Scout just doesn't.

Chris

12??? Having 11 that work is still excessive - well done Sir!

Cheers
    i.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)