Does a 4x4 exist that does 40+mpg?

stratts

Just wondering if there's a 4x4 that does at least 40mpg? I have a car allowance per month from work and can have anything I want as long as it does at least 40mpg, that way all my fuel is paid for by work for private use as well as work.

As you can imagine this saves me a wedge over the year and with the allowance I get means I make a few quid extra per month too. I have a 08 Megane that I can chop in against a motor or sell for cash to fund a 4x4 if there's one out there!

What dya reckon peeps?

Cheers

Stratts

Get a Navarra and put a tank a month in it yourself.

20k a year at 40mpg=500gal
20k a year at 30mpg=667gal
difference 167gal or 759litres
759/12 month=63litres which is about a tank full.

Honda CRV diesel does 45mpg and is amazing in snow, lower ground clearance than some though.

H

Most Landrovers, if you don't count the fuel used by the recovery truck they travel around on.
Wingy

Most Landrovers, if you don't count the fuel used by the recovery truck they travel around on.
Wingy

Ha ha!!

Allowance per month to cover a car & insurance. Fuel provided via a fuelcard for tesco's for work and play, provided the motor does at least 40 mpg!

Looking over the X-Trail seems a decent motor. Needs to be around 5k really if poss, I should get about 2k for the megane.

Last edited:
my x trail did 31mpg mixed driving. My Navara does 25ish. The great wall stead states 37.8 and i believe the new hilux is the same. But getting vehicle chipped or re mapped should give a 20% increase.

Another for a Skoda 4x4 ..... mines an estate car, but also has 160mm extra road clearance. It wont get you real off roading, but I take mine in fields and muddy farm tracks no problem. Handles well and has great mpg too. View one on youtube to see what they get up to in one.

Then see if you can get a test drive ... not sure if they'll let you go off road though. :lol:

As much as I love the look of the Navara the mpg is the killer and I've read too many scare stories about the engine issues when out of warranty!

try looking at the subaru outback , my mate andy has one and it does very good miles per gallon compared to most other 4x4,

What type of 4x4 do you want? are we talking fiat panda or double cab pick up? do you need to get all your gear in and 2 dogs or is it just you. What kind of offroad driving do you need it for? does it need to be a family car as well?
I dont know a proper 4x4 that would reliably do 40mpg but might find some of the smaller ones.

Ezzy

Honda CRV Diesel. Mine says 42 mpg average. Though not a permanent or switchable 4x4.
wont go where a highlux will but then does do more than 30 mpg

I usually get more than 40mpg out of my X-Trail and on a long run it comes out nearer 50mpg if I'm taking it easy. It has dropped slightly below the 40mpg just at the minute as I was doing a lot of off road work and sitting about idling. I guess maybe you have to use the official published figures, and I've no idea what they are, but if not then the X-Trail might work for you - mine is a 2010 model though it was actually registered as a demo in 2009 and I think that engine is relatively new so I don't know if older ones might match those figures.

Family car for weekends, me, mrs and twin boys aged 5. Most I carry is decoying gear & stuff too & from the allotment. Summit that will get around the field margins so won't be axle deep in mud. It has to stay presentable for work. Will be getting a dog hopefully next year (black lab). Summit with decent ground clearance with fairly upright driving style coz I'm a big old lummax with a dicky back sometimes!!! :lol:

Don't want much do I!! :doh:

Back