Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Darker times ahead for some deer stalkers?

Darker times ahead for some deer stalkers?

Are there darker times ahead for many deer stalkers? A guy told me at the weekend that his FEO had insisted that he achieve DSC2 before they will consider an open certificate.

Is this a worrying signal, or one that you would applaud? This is discussed in our Blog:

Click here to visit our blog

It would be interesting to hear your views on this.

Regards,

Mike.

Director - Jelen Deer Services

I agree that some qualification should be achieved before someone is allowed out on their own with a firearm.

I dont mind either way,its probably a good thing to have mmore formal qualifications,for me the most important thing is for them to be more consistant!!

It seems to me that deer stalking is no longer a hobby, it's a qualification. If the police are going to insist you have a list of passes before you can deer stalk, why is it if you have some land YOU are aloud to go lamping without any training at all.

Just a thought!
    Last edited by Buckbones; 04-02-2013 at 21:29.

yep agreed some training/qualification would help someone new to stalking, but having to do DSC2 maybe a step to far, and dont get me wrong i have been stalking for 30+ years as part of my job and am only now doing my DSC2 after failing to do any on my portfolio the first time round and waisted 80 then, now its 120 not going to waist it this time..!!

Quote Originally Posted by Buckbones View Post
    It seems to me that deer stalking is no longer a hobby, it's a qualification. If the police are going to insist you have a list of passes before you can deer stalk, why is it if you have some land are aloud to go lamping without any training at all.

Just a thought!
    Good point!!

Quote Originally Posted by howa243 View Post
    I agree that some qualification should be achieved before someone is allowed out on their own with a firearm.
    I agree with this simply because there has to be a bench mark..

One of four sons of a Royal Marine we were shooting from the age we could hold a rifle and were very fortunate in the company and opportunities we had in them days ( im 47yrs young )

So despite the arguments many have of years of experience shooting with their dad, grandad, etc etc before they were even old enough to have their own fac i still believe there has to be and should be a bench mark qualification imho

Terry
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

I had this scenario a few years ago with south yorks. Having held an open certificate for foxing/vermin with a 243 for numerous years they refused to open it for deer as though they were some sort of mythical beast. Finally got common sense to the forefront with the help of Linda Saynor sadly now retired I believe.

Utterly disgusting. There is no legal requirement for a DSC1 for starters!
    Nor do I believe should there be, there are other methods of learning which are as good if not better than these proscribed courses compulsive completion completely shuts the door to this. The FAO on your forms, referees and interview should be left to decided what and when you can and do it allows flexibility based on circumstance and suitability not some paid for course that precludes you from doing something you can be competent at without attending a curriculum course.

Greed is killing field sports in this country, sadly it seems it is already too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckbones View Post
    It seems to me that deer stalking is no longer a hobby, it's a qualification. If the police are going to insist you have a list of passes before you can deer stalk, why is it if you have some land are aloud to go lamping without any training at all.

Just a thought!
    exactly my thoughts on the matter. its turning into a money making scheme.