Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornady 1500 sclaes inconsitent

Hornady 1500 sclaes inconsitent

I have been left somewhat disturbed by the lack of consistency Iím having with the hornady 1500 gs digital scales.
    Having suffered what I now know to be a serious over pressure problem with my reloads the other day, I set upon to pull the bullets on all the remaining rounds to be safe.as i have worked a safe load up to my current weight of powder with no issues,and lo and behold all were well over what I originally weighed, ie my load was 39gr of H4350.

I checked this in the pan, which was correct, so then I calibrated the scales to double check and it now shows a reading of 48 grains of powder even though it just stated 39 and EVEN THO IT 'PASSED' THE LARGE CALIBRATION WEIGHT. WTF

Before I start I leave for a few minutes, place pan on scales, tare, add powder, repeat to check then load.
    I donít know how this has happened, the scales are laid flat, never been dropped and I check everything twice, but somehow they've managed to throw an extra 10 grains somewhere.

Strange

If I were you I'd sent a quick e-mail to Hornady Customer Services in the US

Let them know the serial mumber of your scales

I had an issue with mine, and from the serial no. they were able to confirm that the batch mine were from had one or two known issues - so they replaced them free of charge!

It may be a software or settings issue too...I also have some info on how to re-calibrate the machine settings...BUT I'd try Hornady first before attempting other fixes

ATB

Jon

Cheers for that jon, Luckily I pulled all the rounds to be safe, but a very worrying situation nevertheless.
    What strikes me is that I know the charge I filled them with was the weight I have been using, in fact I loaded a few 270 ammo a few weeks back, I actually pulled a few last night in my concern just to check and they were also off by 10 grains, when I know for a fact that I weighed the correct amount first time round.(48 gr now reading 58)
    cheers again
    arwel

P.S Could you put me for x2 N160 powder.

IMHO there is just too many of these digital scales going wrong to trust them.. A nice set of beam scales will see you right .

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    IMHO there is just too many of these digital scales going wrong to trust them.. A nice set of beam scales will see you right .
    This is not the first time I've come across this problem - I find it really worrying. Ten grains over on something that is already close to maximum is in serious damage country.
    The problem is that the scale may always read exactly right but you have no idea what's in the pan. A good reliable beam scale is worth it's weight in gold.

just to confirm my susbicions.Used my RCBS beam scales and after checking zero a few times, set the charge to 39gr, added powder and checked to see if the zero lined up.

Attachment 24506 Attachment 24507

Then i placed the powder into the hornady digital scales to check the weight.37.8, a difference of 1.2 gr, not much you kght think.

Attachment 24508

well, seing as i have only been using the digital scales to measure my weight of 39gr,and having checked that somehow they were over by 10 gr having calibrated the scales,I think an email to hornady is in order, unless im missing something someone would like to point out that i am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by gelert View Post
    just to confirm my susbicions.Used my RCBS beam scales and after checking zero a few times, set the charge to 39gr, added powder and checked to see if the zero lined up.

Then i placed the powder into the hornady digital scales to check the weight.37.8, a difference of 1.2 gr, not much you kght think.

well, seing as i have only been using the digital scales to measure my weight of 39gr,and having checked that somehow they were over by 10 gr having calibrated the scales,I think an email to hornady is in order, unless im missing something someone would like to point out that i am wrong.
    I think contacting Hornady is the best first step to take

If you not entirely put off digital scales I use diamond scales. They are amazingly accurate, as you might expect something designed to measure fractional carat diamonds for purchase to be. Cheaper than any branded reloading stuff will be and come with calibration weights.

The first thing I would do is beg or borrow some check weights marked in grains. Either one of your scales may be well off the mark. I'm surprised that RCBS market the R130 scale under their own name, it's not in the same league as other RCBS scales such as the 502,505,5-10,10-10.. The plastic body is prone to induce static errors, especially in dry atmosphere and is on my short list of "scales to avoid"

Ten Commandments for Use of Electronic Scales Daily Bulletin is worth a read. I leave my mobile phone outside the room I reload in. Wifi etc may also disturb the electronic scales. Regards JCS