Somewhere to Zero close to Ramsbottom, Lancs

Richfergy

Morning - I live in Ramsbottom, Lancs and am looking for somewhere that I can zero a .243 and .308

Can anybody help or point me in a particular direction

Diggle is probably just a bit far - ideally a farmer with appropriate bit of ground that I can get access to now and then (it is now and then rather than all the time - probably every couple of months or something?)

Many thanks in advance for any help or guidance

Cheers

Richard

Correct me if i'm wrong but up here you need ground passed and deemed safe before you are issued with a FAC or is that just up here??

Correct me if i'm wrong but up here you need ground passed and deemed safe before you are issued with a FAC or is that just up here??

Spot on Red Dot! Rammy is a busy area you start popping off with a rifle and you'll have the cops all over you like a rash. Diggle is your closest range and covers both calibres out to 1000 yards.

To be fair, not all stalking ground has suitable areas for zeroing, I stalk on small farms, and struggle to find somewhere far enough away from the farmers house so as not to disturb with multiple shots etc and with good backstops for lying down shooting as i normally shoot from sticks or high seats so I can understand the op's request, it's not a prerequisite of an FAC application, it's just that the licence comes back saying you can zero on land ........

Not necessarily.......if issued with an open certificate, determination of safety aspects in respect of shooting is left with the FAC holder, provided the holder has permission to shoot on the land in question. However, it would be unwise not to have that permission in writing & signed/dated by the landowner. Usually, the permission to shoot on land is submitted to the police with an application or renewal of an FAC, but if an open FAC is held, the holder is not normally restricted to just/only shoot on the submitted land.

It is not uncommon to see in the 'Conditions' on an FAC- 'may zero or shoot on land where the holder has lawful authority on which to do so'. This means the holder may shoot on other land as well as that already notified to the police.
It is up to the FAC holder to determine all the safety aspects on land where permission to shoot is given, then to shoot there with consideration and safely. The land itself does not necessarily have to be formally approved for shooting by the local constabulary. ATB

Last edited:
Hey guy's thanks for the thoughts and feedback. Not heard of one in Rossendale, but will have a dig around. Am on an open ticket so yes - would need written permission from landowner on appropriate ground.

Feels like I may be looking for the holy grail :(

Ho hum

Keep searching

Thanks again

Rich

Hey guy's thanks for the thoughts and feedback. Not heard of one in Rossendale, but will have a dig around. Am on an open ticket so yes - would need written permission from landowner on appropriate ground.

Feels like I may be looking for the holy grail :(

Ho hum

Keep searching

Thanks again

Rich

You don't even need written permission. If you know a friendly farmer and he is the land owner and he consents, just get on with it.

You don't even need written permission. If you know a friendly farmer and he is the land owner and he consents, just get on with it.

This is true of course - as long as you hold an 'Open' FAC with the correct 'Conditions'.
It just might be wiser to have it in writing, then if plod turns up & your consenting farmer is unavailable you're covered. It depends how well you know your friendly farmer & how reliable he may be if faced with some shooting related adverse problem. ATB

Last edited:
This is true of course - as long as you hold an 'Open' FAC with the correct 'Conditions'.
It just might be wiser to have it in writing, then if plod turns up & your consenting farmer is unavailable you're covered. It depends how well you know your friendly farmer & how reliable he may be if faced with some shooting related adverse problem. ATB

I agree Deeangeo. To be absolutely bomb proof you might want to get it in writing but as you say it depends on how well you know the land owner. And yes ref open cert although the OP states he has an open cert I think?

Hi - I have had a look for Rossendale Fusiliers on tinterweb but can't get any contact details - anyone help??

Cheers

Rich

Back