Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 300 win. Mag

300 win. Mag

What are everyone's views and experiences on this calibre as I am looking into getting one but don't know anyone with one

The Winchester is a fine cartridge of .30 calibre. Due to the larger volume of powder burnt and the higher velocity the recoil is more than say the 30-06. The neck is a bit short for my liking but truth be told it never gave me problems. The rifle i owned and used in this chambering was a Ruger No1B that I traded to a dealer the enable me to acquire four collectable rifles. I also traded a vintage Model 1922 Mauser made for the Pan American games and acquired Thre DWM Model 1893 Mausers and my Medwell & Perritt sporting rifle.

If it were not for them I would probably still have the Ruger. Of course powder costs were a lot less then than they are now.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    The Winchester is a fine cartridge of .30 calibre. Due to the larger volume of powder burnt and the higher velocity the recoil is more than say the 30-06. The neck is a bit short for my liking but truth be told it never gave me problems. The rifle i owned and used in this chambering was a Ruger No1B that I traded to a dealer the enable me to acquire four collectable rifles. I also traded a vintage Model 1922 Mauser made for the Pan American games and acquired Thre DWM Model 1893 Mausers and my Medwell & Perritt sporting rifle.

If it were not for them I would probably still have the Ruger. Of course powder costs were a lot less then than they are now.
    I have been trying to find some one that has one locally to me so I can have a go and see if i like it (recoil wise)

SD Regular
    If you re-load, and have access to a chronograph, it is a cartridge that gives the flexibility of loading from 308 Winchester levels up to 300 Holland and Holland levels. However this comes at a price:

1) Some say that in a shortish length action some heavier bullets cannot be seated properly. That is they don't have a parallel section in the right place to be gripped by the very short case neck of the 300 Winchester. In fact for 220 grain bullets a 30-06 has probably similar usuable case capacity in the same length action.

2) It is a belted case that give two issues:

a) ONE LESS cartridge in the magazine. I like four or preferably five up. As that way I am not worrying about dropping cartridges out of my pockets

b)The belt can in poorly constructed rifles give feeding reliability issues. I'd always say try any secondhand rifle with dummy bulleted cartridges for this
    before purchasing.

3) Factory ammunition is expensive and usually FULL POWER.

4) You can't carry five spare rounds in a surplus UK 7.62mm NATO or USA 30-06 or German 7.92mm Mauser stripper clip in you pocket. The "poor man's
    cartridge pouch"!

5) Some reloaders say that there is a special knack to loading so that the cartridges headspaces on the shoulder instead of the actually irrelevant belt.

where abouts are you mate might help ,if you are close to yorkshire your welcome to have a crack on mine, i have an old sako l61 the action is wonderfull and i have had lots of comments how nice the rifle is i am glad it was traded to me as it wont be leaving my grip, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    where abouts are you mate might help ,if you are close to yorkshire your welcome to have a crack on mine, i have an old sako l61 the action is wonderfull and i have had lots of comments how nice the rifle is i am glad it was traded to me as it wont be leaving my grip, atb wayne
    Yes I will be hand loading for it, I was thinking of buying a sauer 202 300 win mag. Thanks for the offer mereside but I live in Braintree in essex so it will be another far for me but a very kind offer all the same

Quote Originally Posted by goldeneve frise View Post
    I have been trying to find some one that has one locally to me so I can have a go and see if I like it (recoil wise)
    Sorry I cannot help you there. Off the top of my head I cannot recall whom still has a rifle in 300 Win Mag.

I have just put in a variation for one having consider the full compliment of .30 and .338 cartridges (like the )6 but the French thing was a pain)

I considered a RUM and the only benefit I can see if the lack of belt
    Fireformed brass should headspace off the shoulder anyway

I have a .270 and this appears on paper to be the .30 ballistic twin!

130gr .270 is +1"@100yds, 0"@200yds and -6.5"@300yds 3000fps MV

180gr .300WM is +1.1"@100yds, 0"@200 and -6.4"@300yds 3000fps MV

if you are worrying about recoil then I suspect .30 magnums are not the best option.

only two words to worry about with recoil....eye...relief!

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    I have just put in a variation for one having consider the full compliment of .30 and .338 cartridges (like the )6 but the French thing was a pain)

I considered a RUM and the only benefit I can see if the lack of belt
    Fireformed brass should headspace off the shoulder anyway

I have a .270 and this appears on paper to be the .30 ballistic twin!

130gr .270 is +1"@100yds, 0"@200yds and -6.5"@300yds 3000fps MV

180gr .300WM is +1.1"@100yds, 0"@200 and -6.4"@300yds 3000fps MV

if you are worrying about recoil then I suspect .30 magnums are not the best option.

only two words to worry about with recoil....eye...relief!
    Some people say they kick like a mule yet I have seen young kids and women on you tube shoot them so what is the reality

I dont get this surely a gun that smacks you in the eye has an ill fitting stock/ scope more than recoil issue i use a .300 rum regulary, and in the past shot .300 wetherby mags and .375 hollands never had one come near to smacking me in the eye