Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSC1 Where do I start?

DSC1 Where do I start?

Advice please. I am just starting out on the deer stalking path and want to know what I need to know to apply for a DSC1 Course. Is the course for absolute beginers and its all taught on the course or do I need to do some studying before applying, if so what do I need to study and were do I get the study material?
    Last edited by Lucky Sniper; 05-02-2013 at 20:25.

The course covers everything you need to know, the only thing you might want to be practiced at is deer identification and the all important shooting test, nothing scary, but it helps to be confident shooting. Good luck, it's a very good course.

Hi Luck sniper,
    Give Paul at Barony on this site a PM he can give you all the info & confidence. As with a previous thread Barony is a great place to do your DSC1 and not that far from the west end of the A66. Hope this helps.

Cheers
    Pete

Any CD's, DVD's , text books etc anyone can email me or point me in the right direction, it would be most appreciated.

Have a look at :

Deer Stalking Certificate Level 1 Training - Home learning

Very useful for cramming up. And the identification makes you think. The course is still useful and informative - although if you have experience you may want to just take the assessment. BDS do a VERY good DVD. I would certainly recommend :
    DVD | Donington Deer Management

The gralloch DVD. I had seen a few (3) and had to do my FIRST time on my own - watching this DVD really made it possible.

Info is always out there - some will get you through the exam - other bits will be more useful

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Sniper View Post
    Any CD's, DVD's , text books etc anyone can email me or point me in the right direction, it would be most appreciated.
    Hi I found Jelens interactive dvd extremely helpful, tell you what you can have mine with my compliments, just let me have your address and I will post it too you, only proviso is that you pass it on to another member starting out on DSC1 when you have passed. Hows that?

Best regards and happy swatting lol.

Quote Originally Posted by willowbank View Post
    Hi I found Jelens interactive dvd extremely helpful, tell you what you can have mine with my compliments, just let me have your address and I will post it too you, only proviso is that you pass it on to another member starting out on DSC1 when you have passed. Hows that?

Best regards and happy swatting lol.
    Sound a spot on deal mate. PM Inbound

Quote Originally Posted by murrayb View Post
    Have a look at :

Very useful for cramming up. And the identification makes you think. The course is still useful and informative - although if you have experience you may want to just take the assessment. BDS do a VERY good DVD. I would certainly recommend :

The gralloch DVD. I had seen a few (3) and had to do my FIRST time on my own - watching this DVD really made it possible.

Info is always out there - some will get you through the exam - other bits will be more useful
    Hi Lucky sniper-I can certainly agree with recommendation from Murray above regarding DSCorg link--good price per month,free trial and it saved my bacon when I did my level one-fantastic for deer recognition which I was pants at!
    Best of luck to you also.

Quote Originally Posted by murrayb View Post
    Have a look at :

I am finding the deer stalking home learning very very good
    Before i started i did not have a clue i was getting about 30% right
    But after a few times i am getting up in the 90's so much info and a greta site to use too very happy with it

Gary

Prepare and learn as much as possible before the course & assessments. Interactive DVD's and the BDS manual are all useful. Practice you rifle shooting as much as possible, I found dry firing to eliminate unnecessary movement and find the most comfortable positions beneficial. atb Tim