Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tumbling

tumbling

is tumbling cases or putting them in an ultrasonic cleaner actually beneficial to reloding or is it mainly for appearances and the "niceness" of handling clean brass? which would you prefer to use?

I tumble cases before processing and again before loading, partly for cosmetic reasons but mainly to keep everything as clean as possible. Contanimants and dirt IMO do not go well with reloading.atb Tim

cheers tim, im toying with the idea of getting either a tumbler or a cleaner but didnt want t head down that route if it was purely for looks. do you prefer the tumbler to the cleaner then i take it?

I've never tried the sonic cleaner, nothing particularly against them, it was simply that when I started reloading the tumblers were cheaper than the cleaners. atb Tim

ok bud thanks, ill have a look and see what happens tomorrow then, knowing me ill come back with a few bits i dont "need" haha

You could boil them in detergent for a good while then drain them, rinse and dry them in an airing cupboard. Always nicer if tumbled though,

thanks satyr, i did wrap them in a couplke of pair of socks and put them in the wash before with no ill effects other than getting moaned at haha

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    thanks satyr, i did wrap them in a couplke of pair of socks and put them in the wash before with no ill effects other than getting moaned at haha
    Yeah I've had the WTF are they doing in there comment. If you use a pan full of hot water and vinegar followed by dishwasher tab then a good rinse they come up great. Mind you a boffin will pop up with reasons why vinegar will weaken the cases, but I never noticed in real life. Depends on how hot you load 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    is tumbling cases or putting them in an ultrasonic cleaner actually beneficial to reloding or is it mainly for appearances and the "niceness" of handling clean brass? which would you prefer to use?
    I have never tumbled any cases. I ultrasonic clean before re-sizing and as again as a final clean before drying the brass and putting it away. Once upon a time I did buy a tumbler, but I never used it and returned it. I've recently sent brass to Spud for stainless steel pins cleaning and annealing and that worked out very well. Regards JCS

thanks for that jcs, i was tempted by his brass clean and prep service but i really enjoy going through it all myself. maybe an ultrasonic cleaner is the way forward then. when using the washing machine the outsides came up fine but the inside stayed nice and dirty.