Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bit of a head scratcher

bit of a head scratcher

I have put this on another forum but i like the advice on here as it seams proper like

bit of a strange one for me and im not sure on the take of it so asking

I have a little patch of land that i stalk on with 6.5x55. its on a very good slope so well suited for walking and stalking.

I have just had a phone call from firearms licencing to say my ticket is ready for collection and the 6.5x55 has been unrestricted, My other rifles have been open a fair while. But! i was told that the patch of land is for high seat only. how do i stand on that, excuse the pun.

I shot it last year stalking on foot but now told it was high seat only.

When i spoke to the PC that checked the land a few years ago he was happy i knew what i was doing but was worried that one the land is open to 6.5x55 that it makes it open to anyone, even someone that might not be as competent as myself at assessing the safe shot. I was told by the PC that it 'might' be a condition added but there was no other talk of it until this phone call today from the licencing manager.

I have an unrestricted FAC so what would your take be on this. I know what im thinking but i would like others input for the correct 'lawful' answer

Phil

If your cert is open you can do as you like. If they only clear the land to 6.5X55 from a high seat the only people it affects are those with closed FACs.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    If your cert is open you can do as you like. If they only clear the land to 6.5X55 from a high seat the only people it affects are those with closed FACs.
    Thanks you sir, that was my take on it to, i wanted to make sure im on the right side of law

Suggest you run this past SACS if you are a member. Same happened to me, have a piece of ground that was OK for .223 but when I put it down for my .243 they put a high seat restriction on it.

However whats the definition of a highseat???

Currently use a big stack of bales, straw barn or at present a heap of approx 2,000 tons of stone.

D

i was talking to Ian the other day about my ticket but this wasnt on the cards then. I have to pick ticket up at 12noon so i'll read and then go from there.

If you have been told specifically that you can only use your 6.5X55 from a high seat on that particular piece of land then using it in another way will put you in breach of your permitted conditions.

HWH.

if it is written on the certificate do not accept it

they do not have the right to tell you how to use your rifle on ground cleared for that calibre

they either trust you to have an open FAC or they don't

if they disagree write directly to the chief constable and send a copy to whichever SACS BABC etc org you below asking what area of Firearms Law and HO Guidance they are reading that makes them believe they have the right to control a FAC holders use of his own rifle?

agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    if it is written on the certificate do not accept it

they do not have the right to tell you how to use your rifle on ground cleared for that calibre

they either trust you to have an open FAC or they don't

if they disagree write directly to the chief constable and send a copy to whichever SACS BABC etc org you below asking what area of Firearms Law and HO Guidance they are reading that makes them believe they have the right to control a FAC holders use of his own rifle?
    +1, Police additional conditions , good luck . atb Tim

Nothing written on conditions of FAC. I have a backpack seat so if needs must then its not a biggy but just a strange on to me.

It has got me thinking a little more.

i have permission to do as i like on this land as well as taking people with me. i had a bit of a chat with the FLO about a friend who is waiting for land checks, 7 months now. i basically asked if they would look into it. this person is on a closed FAC so my thoughts are that the highseat comment was aimed at this friend as i told them he he might be shooting with me on occasions. thats my thoughts now i have slept on it.