Thread: Sako quad issues

Sako quad issues

Interesting issue to be wary of, I got my FAC issued for .22lr &.17hmr, decided to Go for a Sako quad with both barrels, having discussed it with my FEO that it would be acceptable. After a few weeks got a call and told that the .17hmr barrel only, was not permitted according to my FAC, and instructed me to place the barrel into storage at my nearest Dealer and apply for a variation to cover the barrel only! Had to send a receipt of the storage too.
    variation arrived within a week and I picked up my barrel, that was a few months ago, BUT, just recently checked my FAC and realised that it stated ".17hmr barrel to purchase" not in possession!

I should have checked at the time, but effectively had a barrel "firearm" I'm not supposed to! In went the call and a variation straightway! Turns out when the dealer returned the barrel, he and I should have filled in the FAC as if I bought it, and sent the FAC in again??!

I'm told the variation is done and in the post, covering the barrel in my possession now, and I asked for permission to acquire an additional action, so will have two dedicated rifles! Looking for a quad action and stock.

it seems not all forces apply the same rules with interchangeable barrels, all is not clear as it may seem, might be useful for somebody in the future!

Certainly is an interesting point I also have a quad and was thinking about adding .22LR I already have the .17hmr

Quote Originally Posted by chr1s View Post
    Certainly is an interesting point I also have a quad and was thinking about adding .22LR I already have the .17hmr
    Assume you have a slot for .22Lr, wilts may not have the same opinion as glos. if you have a slot for .22LR then in glos you would have to acquire a complete rifle, if you want just a barrel, then need to apply for a variation to get a barrel only! Worth checking beforehand buddy!

I didn't quite follow how you got into this pickle in the first place, how did you manage to get the gun if you didn't have the authority.

Any way with a loose action you need to be careful how you word it on the FAC, some RFDs are pedantic about it. For example if you get authorised one .17HMR action, they wont issue the action because it could be used on a .22WMR etc. I.E. its not calibre specific. Will need to say one rimfire action or something like that. If I have one .308 action they say I could use it on a .270, 30-06, .284 and the list goes on.

Fenland rural sports advertise on gun star and sell a Sako quad stocked action for 383, which seems reasonable. As they are modular as sent to the RFDs you may find most RFDs will sell you the stocked action.

Anyway welcome to the site.

had this but with a .22lr barrel for my quad about 5 or six years ago only it was about 3 mounths after i had brought it had to send my lisence of and had it altered, that was Herts now with Essex, cant get a 6mm for vermin, but have a freind in herts with a .308 with vermin on it, seems they make it up as they go along there no consistancy or common sense sometimes. Must say always had good service with Essex in general though.

Atb Matt

my local gun shop has a whole quad brand new for 430 i thaink.

Atb Matt

I had the similar problem with my quads ! I had a slot for a 22 and a 17 on my ticket and purchased a 22 and 17 barrel with one stock. I decided to but a second stock but when I went to collect the stock the dealer wouldn't give it to me even though my ticket allowed me to own two full rifles the second stock and action had its own serial number so I had to put in for a variation to purchase it

I have a action and stock with one number

.22 wmr barrel and a .22 lr with seperate numbers, caused a bit of constination but with a fair wind the gunshop sorted it out over the phone with the firearms dept, I had the two barrels and action separately on my certificate thank goodness, or else it could have been another variation

Quote Originally Posted by gmart122 View Post
    I didn't quite follow how you got into this pickle in the first place, how did you manage to get the gun if you didn't have the authority.

Any way with a loose action you need to be careful how you word it on the FAC, some RFDs are pedantic about it. For example if you get authorised one .17HMR action, they wont issue the action because it could be used on a .22WMR etc. I.E. its not calibre specific. Will need to say one rimfire action or something like that. If I have one .308 action they say I could use it on a .270, 30-06, .284 and the list goes on.

Fenland rural sports advertise on gun star and sell a Sako quad stocked action for 383, which seems reasonable. As they are modular as sent to the RFDs you may find most RFDs will sell you the stocked action.

Anyway welcome to the site.
    Thanks, valid point, quite simply because I bought the gun and barrels privately. The seller saw I had slots for both and I filled in the FAC! I thought it was ok, the asked the FEO beforehand, and he didn't see it as an issue! I agree if I'd bought from a RFD then maybe this would have been picked up.

I have a wooden stock and a synthetic stock but I cannot change them between rifles as the actions are allocated to a specific calibre